Death to the Backboard!!!

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
I'm looking for copies of any agency protocols that have eleminated transporting on backboards. Also if anyone can point me to some good studies.

I'm going to try to take this to my medical director and see if I can get rid of these stupid aniquated things. We currently have selective c-spine protocols, however we have a large elderly population. I end up with way too many little old ladies with hip fx on LBB in agony. I backboard as few as I can, but all too often, fire has the pt on the backboard before I arrive (and due to politics I'm not going to d/c the LBB unless it greatly affects pt care).

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
All of New Hampshire has gone away from using them. Here is the state's rollout video. The statewide treatment protocols are here.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Bernalillo county/Albuquerque metro protocols

OP
OP
MagicTyler

MagicTyler

Forum Lieutenant
Bernalillo county/Albuquerque metro protocols

I just heard that from an ABQFD medic yesterday.But whn I looked on the city of ABQ website, the protocols are from 10/2013, and the c-spine rules still have a back board required.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have a newer copy from work. I'll get them to you

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
http://www.bernco.gov/upload/images...Protocols_and_Guidelines_Final-1_20140401.pdf

This should be the newest protocols for the BernCo/ABQ Metro area. Used by AAS, AFD, BCFD. Rio Rancho Fire has their own version, as does ValCo/ABQ AMR. Superior 911 is still using old protocols as far as I know, as is Living Cross and ValCo Fire.

Very interesting to read those. Thank you. Do you think there are scenarios where backboards would be warranted, or are you fully in favor of those new protocols?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Tyler, I just now looked at this site on my computer and noticed you're from Havasu. Since I no longer work for the Evil Empire in ABQ, I don't have access to their protocols, but since you work in Havasu, and not with fire, I'm assuming your boss might be able to get a set from the ABQ office for you to look over. Valentine was very supportive of the NM operation trying to improve protocols.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
The backboard is an extrication device not a transport device.

I wouldn't transport a pt with a laryngoscope taped to their face, I would try not to transport a pt strapped to a long spine board.

I would not hesitate to use it if I thought it had something to offer on the risk analysis scale and I could pad it under the pt.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Very interesting to read those. Thank you. Do you think there are scenarios where backboards would be warranted, or are you fully in favor of those new protocols?

Other than as a lifting tool, I don't see a backboard being warranted pretty much at all.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Here we're now only doing backboards if there's neuro deficit or a really convincing reason to put them on one. They're also good for codes where you need a firm surface to compress against and they make moving arrest victims easier. We're really just using soft collars, like we used to many many moons ago.