Dealing with Death. At work vs at home.

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant
Working in EMS we deal with death almost constantly. In order to succeed we have to figure out early in our career how to personally handle death on the job so it doesn’t eat us alive. Due to multiple bad calls early on in my career I have gotten to the point that I am able to keep even some of the most gruesome deaths from bothering me, I am able to distance myself from it all pretty easily.

However, I am struggling how to figure out how to deal with death in my personal life. My mother has been very sick on and off my entire life and the last few years it has been a steady decline. A decline that she, and the rest of our family were well aware would eventually lead to her death in the near future. Up to the last minute I was able to be the strong, level headed, straight thinking member of my family through all this. Especially when discussing her final wishes with the Dr’s and making the ultimate decision to pull her off the vent and let her finally die and no longer be hurting or suffering, I was the strong voice in the family.

In the hours after mother was extubated, I left her side only to use the restroom. I held her hand as she died and finally was at peace. Through it all I was able to stay strong and handle it all emotionally and quickly come to terms of what was happening. Overall I think I have worked through the grief well. Except one small area.

When my mother finally stopped breathing, I was watching the monitor as her O2 levels dropped rapidly and her heart beat started slowing down, I had the urge to grab the BVM hanging on the wall and to yell out at the nurse to due something (my exact phrase I almost yelled was “call a code or something dammit!”). I had to really fight that urge and remind myself that this was what my mother wanted, this was her wish. I watched her color rapidly change as her heart beat continued to slow leading to inevitable cardiac arrest (Is it still cardiac arrest when it is expected?). I had to again fight the urge to act. I had the overwhelming urge to start compressions.

Deep down in my gut, I got the feeling that I was failing her, I’m an EMT and I was doing everything against what I was taught to do. Everything backwards of what we do in the field every day. In EMS we don’t just stand around and let someone die, we try to save them.

I kept reminding myself that this was her wish, she had a DNR and we deal with DNR scenarios in the field quite often. But the fact that it was my mother and not some random patient had kept this sickening feeling in my gut that makes me continually second guess my actions. I try to remind myself that we were doing what my mother had wanted. She didn't want to live on a vent the rest of her life. She didn't want to be bound to a wheelchair or bedridden. Didn’t want to live in an ALF or nursing home. All places she was headed. I keep reminding myself that I did what my mother wanted. I fulfilled her dying wishes. Yet I cannot shake the feeling that what I did was wrong. I should have done something.

Maybe just writing this all out will help me finally work through this.

Has anyone else here had to deal with a family death like this and found it difficult to get passed the feeling that they should have done something more since that is what we do every day?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I believe that your difficulty comes from having a flawed idea of what EMS does and not divorcing who you are from your work.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
It's easy to stay distant from calls at work, due to the fact that those people are not in our lives until we see them on scene.

Family is different as they have always been in your life, obviously.

Your mother had wishes on how she wanted things handled. And they were handled that way. You just have to make peace with that.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I'm sympathetic having lost my mother and grandmother recently. It's incredibly painful. It seems to me you are struggling with a very human reaction to loss, wishing things had been different or that you could have someone changed the reality of what was going on. Everyone wishes that no matter their profession.

I actually felt that my background in medicine prepared me better for the idea that they (my family members) had reached a point where there were no meaningful options left but to optimize their comfort.

My advice would be to ignore the fact that you work on an Ambulance as seeing the death of strangers has little to do with losing a cherished loved one.

I'm very sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck. Thought it's a cliche , it really does take time to adjust to the new reality, even though you will always miss your family members.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
@SeeNoMore took the words out of my mouth (fingers?) so I won't repeat them. I will say, that while we are always here for you, make sure you take some time and talk with family, your partner or chaplain at work, someone from your church, etc. Share your feelings, let the words and emotions come out.

@EMSDude54343 , I'm sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I had a similar situation to what you described. I felt conflicted, as you described, about doing nothing, even though I knew we were following that person's wishes.

I don't think there's much any of us can do to significantly soften the impact of accumulated loss as we age, but I do believe acknowledging and verbalizing what we feel is a better path than pretending those feelings don't exist, or even worse, deciding they shouldn't exist.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
My mother died at home, her wish; with her family at her bedside. the hospice company nurse and counselor was there when she died. I was watching her and listening to them to talk to my dad and my sister. I watched my mom take her last breath, smiling as she did; even though she hadn't been coherent for about 48 hours.
As the funeral home people were moving their cot out to the truck we saw a double rainbow with all seven colors (purple on the top and bottom) I have only seen purple on a rainbow 3 or 4 times, and never twice. Purple is my mom's favorite color, so I feel it was her saying things are all right.

It didn't bother me then ad doesn't bother me now; but I have been in the field for along time.

Other deaths have bothered me much more than this did

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Sorry to read that man... As for myself my dad died from a heart attack when I was in school doing EMT, and to make it even more ironic he died at the time that we were studying cardiology and MIs... It was brutal but it made me more distant to others people suffering and realizing that sometimes there is only so much that can be done for them.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry for the loss of your mother. It's probably not much comfort, but you were with her when it counted. Both of my parents died, at separate times, while I was miles away, but my mom had been weak and sick for a long time, so it was an expected shock,(is there such a thing?) Be secure in the knowledge you did all you could for her, in accordance with her wishes, while she was alive.

But, being an old guy, who went through the death of his son, I can tell you that time, and faith, will make things better eventually. You will never forget, but you will be able to deal with it.

Hang tough.