dealing with anxiety and stress

EMS*Princess

Forum Probie
Eat right, work out, get plenty of sleep- like what my mom the RN tells me all the time :rolleyes: Believe in yourself too! You'll do great!!

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Break what you have to do into small chunks.

Make a to - do list with small managable bites.

Focus on each task as you do it. Everytime you find yourself dwelling on the big picture and feeling hopless, just go back on focus on one small task if progress at a time.

I only post this because I need to remind myslef.

Best wishes for your class.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Well you could start chain smoking and become obnoxious and unpleasent to those around you ... hmm sounds like some of my co workers.

Seriously man sounds like you need to find something to do outside of school to take your mind off work so to speak.

And as others have mentioned it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to make a list of things to do each day or week or whatever, its what I do.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
prob consider other methods of working out, such as stretching/hopping on a recumbent...etc

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
This was the OP's last post...or latest post.

Stirley, knockknockknock, Stirley, knockknockknock,Stirley, knockknockknock...
tumblr_kpml0nox5m1qzmsloo1_500.jpg

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
I read the title of this thread right as I was taking a shot of Maker's Mark right after a long, stressful day of EMS. Yeah.. I'm not the guy to answer this question.

gicts

Forum Lieutenant
Bit of a bump, but I'm curious what the OP is up to now.

And to stay on topic, I have found that making lists, no matter how silly, helps alot.

slloth

Forum Crew Member
A lot of these back pain comments are cracking me up. If you want to do it, do it. Its your back you know what you're getting in to and you know what the consequences may be. I know all about back pain and dispatch sitting at a chair for hours on end can be as bad or painful as lifting something heavy. Hell my back hurts when i'm in bed too long, but I lift a lot of weight (using my legs).

And anxiety is something you will either learn to deal with or you will run away from it and it will get worse. Ive found the best way to deal with anxiety is to confront it an allow your self to feel the anxious feelings ad then move on. Don't dwell and don't run. As long as you can do you job and are enjoying your work and doing good work then you will be fine. Anxiety effects millions of people. It is extremely common. Eat a healthy diet. Exercise regularly and learn what works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

terrible one

Always wandering
but i want to be a ffer more than anything in life. if i dont reach that goal i honestly believe i wont be happy doing anything else in life.

I know that feeling, but honestly in the end it's just a job like anything else. A job should not be the sole reason for happiness. Your only 19 you never know what life will bring at you, don't close off the rest of your life waiting for something that might not happen.
I don't know if you realize how many are competting for that job, but less than 1% that test, actually end up working as a full time paid FF. Not trying to bring you down but you need to be a realist, and if you think your stressed with EMT class wait until your academy and first year on probabtion.
good luck

kermit

Forum Crew Member
I'm a little half way through school for EMT B myself and just the fact I chose to read this thread may be saying something about my own status. I think, I am making this class harder than it should be for me. I keep expecting this brick wall of a problem,Exam,Clinical experience, or something to Just take me out. The fact of the matter is,I have a "A" so far and have scored as high or higher on the exams as the rest of my classmates. I am 42 and was an Air Traffic Controller when I was your age, and I seemed to do my best and be more calm when the aircraft I was controlling was on fire. People tell me not to worry about stuff so much, but I have never been the kind of person to take having other peoples lives in my hands lightly. To be honest, if you weren't a little stressed that would worry me more. Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who woke up at 3am with a splitting headache @@@@@@ off about the fact he couldn't remember the normal heart rate for a pedi. LOL Some of us are just worry warts by nature. I agree with the others you just have to find a way to blow off steam and cope in your own way,and that goes for life in general. I think, If your not cut out for EMS and you do make it through school that you will most likely realize it fairly quickly in the real world. Sounds like you have more than your fair share of obligations and responsibilities right now and the fact that you would be assuming the role your playing in your family says a whole lot to me about your character. I have a saying that has been pretty true. People find a way to do what their heart really desires no matter what! They also easily find an EXCUSE Not to do the things they don't want to do no matter what.

I would finish school and then try to resolve the back problem if at all possible.Its only going to get worse with age, not to mention make it hard to get a job.

God speed !!!

kermit

Forum Crew Member
I'm a little half way through school for EMT B myself and just the fact I chose to read this thread may be saying something about my own status. I think, I am making this class harder than it should be for me. I keep expecting this brick wall of a problem,Exam,Clinical experience, or something to Just take me out. The fact of the matter is,I have a "A" so far and have scored as high or higher on the exams as the rest of my classmates. I am 42 and was an Air Traffic Controller when I was your age, and I seemed to do my best and be more calm when the aircraft I was controlling was on fire. People tell me not to worry about stuff so much, but I have never been the kind of person to take having other peoples lives in my hands lightly. To be honest, if you weren't a little stressed that would worry me more. Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who woke up at 3am with a splitting headache @@@@@@ off about the fact he couldn't remember the normal heart rate for a pedi. LOL Some of us are just worry warts by nature. I agree with the others you just have to find a way to blow off steam and cope in your own way,and that goes for life in general. I think, If your not cut out for EMS and you do make it through school that you will most likely realize it fairly quickly in the real world. Sounds like you have more than your fair share of obligations and responsibilities right now and the fact that you would be assuming the role your playing in your family says a whole lot to me about your character. I have a saying that has been pretty true. People find a way to do what their heart really desires no matter what! They also easily find an EXCUSE Not to do the things they don't want to do no matter what.

I would finish school and then try to resolve the back problem if at all possible.Its only going to get worse with age, not to mention make it hard to get a job.

God speed !!!

sop

Forum Lieutenant
Try listening stress reducing music and perform mind relaxation therapy (meditation).