Crew just returned from a >600lbs'er

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
The Pt. was able w/help and a walker to make it to the stretcher. This was an older Mobile home, and all the usual presentation of someone in this condition.
We were lucky, next time Pt. may not be ambulatory.
We have a meeting with 1st responders about a possible next time, however we feel that it is unsafe and we are at risk if the system allows this pt to return to that same environment.
Has anyone dealt with a pre plan dealing with cutting trough the side of a home and the possible legality of it?

I have reviewed old posts in the search but didn't find one relevent.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've lifted my fair share of big patients. We've gained a reputation as being the only private service in the area that will take 500+ pounders.

When needed we call on the local fire departments for a lift assist, though usually 3+ units will be dispatched to the call. We've never had to cut anything, but one time we had to push hard to get the patient through the front door opening.

It's a fact of EMS these days. Hopefully someone can give you some better information on your exact situation.

OP
OP
G

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
We don't have specialized units for this work. Its as usual, get the job done.
Years back when we were private, we did do one where a crate was built for the pt. and windows removed. But this was prearranged at least a week before. It was a brain tumor that caused the "GROSS OBESITY"!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
keep in mind the unless specially made for +size pt's, your stretcher is probably only rated for 500lb. ive seen pt's that had to be transported on a flat bed...

firecoins

IFT Puppet
keep in mind the unless specially made for +size pt's, your stretcher is probably only rated for 500lb. ive seen pt's that had to be transported on a flat bed...

Wow, a tow truck to transport a patient.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Check out the local bariatric supply company which is a booming industry now. We have several companies that contract to our hospital and are on call 24/7. They have many specialized lifts and chairs that are rated to 800 lbs. And yes, standard door frames will not accommondate these wheelchairs. We had to have a serious crash course in this when our hospital started doing bariatric surgery. We now have at least 2 pts weighing more than 500 lbs at any given time in house. Luckily for the Ambulance transport companies we have our own long term rehab center and professional lift teams which consists of 2 men and some nice lift equipment.

Many times the pt in conjunction with the doctor's ofc and a bariatric supply company will utilize the equipment from the supply company and rent a truck(as a private citizen) with a lift to get to the hospital. Something like a moving van or furniture truck has been utilized a couple of times.

There are community organizations that work for special needs groups to "remodel" a house for better access if needed. Of course this doesn't help you on the short term but may help if you had to tear something down in the long term.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We had a pt. that required removing all the stretcher hardware from the back of the ambulance so her mattress could lie on the floor. Then when Airlifted required a cargo plane from Victoria, B.C to take her to Seattle

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
My first call on clinicals was a 60 y/o female weighing 500+ lbs. She was very kind, but looking at her report, boy did her weight hurt her health. We were transporting for a PIC line insertion. The stretcher was rated to 600 lbs. Two units were needed.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
We had to turn down a transport the other night because the patient exceeded the safe weight limit for our gurneys.

I felt really bad about it. But it was a definite safety issue for all involved. We did do our best to make sure that another company with an appropriate bariatric rig was dispatched in a timely manner, though.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've also removed the cot hardware in the back of our larger rigs and put the patient on the floor (on a large Stryker EMS tarp).

Our Stryker cots are rated to 650 lbs, and we have a bariatric one that can fit in the back of any of our ambulances. I truly hate those calls.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
I've lifted my fair share of big patients. We've gained a reputation as being the only private service in the area that will take 500+ pounders.

When needed we call on the local fire departments for a lift assist, though usually 3+ units will be dispatched to the call. We've never had to cut anything, but one time we had to push hard to get the patient through the front door opening.

It's a fact of EMS these days. Hopefully someone can give you some better information on your exact situation.

does your service have a bariatric equipped rig with stretcher ? my volunteer squad doesn't have one but the paid service i work for does.