CPR with Knee Pads

Hockey

Quackers
Saw someone the other day at work who had a set of knee pads in their bag. Out of curiosity I asked what they were for. They said their knees are a bit screwed up from a few years back so they throw them on if they are going to a full arrest or a PI where they might have to get down on their knees for a long period of time.

I asked if he gets funny looks walking on scene with knee pads and he said he just slides em right up under his pant leg usually and nobody usually notices.

At first I kind of laughed but I then remembered how bad my knees usually hurt after being on them not moving around for a while. Plus my knees aren't the best either.

Anyone else do this or heard of it? It seems like a good idea and a good way to save your knees as long as you're not taking time out of patient care to put them on.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Saw someone the other day at work who had a set of knee pads in their bag. Out of curiosity I asked what they were for. They said their knees are a bit screwed up from a few years back so they throw them on if they are going to a full arrest or a PI where they might have to get down on their knees for a long period of time.

I asked if he gets funny looks walking on scene with knee pads and he said he just slides em right up under his pant leg usually and nobody usually notices.

At first I kind of laughed but I then remembered how bad my knees usually hurt after being on them not moving around for a while. Plus my knees aren't the best either.

Anyone else do this or heard of it? It seems like a good idea and a good way to save your knees as long as you're not taking time out of patient care to put them on.

I used knee pads in basic class. they would have is kneeling outside on the pavement for extended periods of time holding c-spine, or doing compressions.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I just get an EMT from the engine to do the compressions. That's what they're there for, right? :p

In reality, I have some paintball knee pads myself... might slip one on my left knee since it is actually a pretty bad knee that I don't want to aggravate more. Hmm...

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I know a woman who sewed some into her pants. I never noticed until she told me--obviously, they're pretty thin. She swears by them. I might get around to doing that myself sometime.

If it looks like one of my crew members is going to be holding c-spine on pavement or something for a long period of time, and I'm not doing much, I'll see about slipping a towel or washcloth under their knees if I can't just relieve them. Other people have done the same for me, and it seems to help.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If I'm holding C-Spine for some time, or see a crewmember holding it for a while, I give them the headblocks to put under their knees (usually once we get the head secured, and they loose their kneepads, they won't be kneeling much longer). Also grab trauma dressings, sheets, towels, etc, to put under your knees.

I can forseeably see when I am going to be performing CPR, so cant justify carrying or wearing kneepads all the time...

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
I've used a flightsuit with foam kneepads under reinforced knee patches - bloody brilliant; a soft landing and no damage from glass or debris.

Failing that, I just have you boys hoik the punter onto a trolley for us. :p

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My 5.11 pants have them built in. They help a lot

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
haha i understood. hoik= lift up punter= patient:p

I was just about to type the same thing Emt_Irl, but you beat me to it. lol.
Patients are also refered to as punters, by some of the ambulance staff here in New Zealand.

I don't know much about the sore knees side of working a cardiac arrest. The rib cage hurts more the next day, when you haven't been to one in awhile.:blush:

Cheers Enjoynz

8jimi8

CFRN
My 5.11 pants have them built in. They help a lot

quoted for emphasis.

the 5.11 pant knee pads are the saviors of your knees. A bit warm, but not bad when its winter!

zmedic

Forum Captain
I use knee pads when I'm doing ski patrol, especially when we're doing a lot of training. The ice can be pretty brutal on the knees when you're doing scenarios. Black Diamond makes a sweet pair for telie skiing.

41406.jpg

8jimi8

CFRN
those look like awesome BIGWALL knee pads. what is the outer material made out of?

Scout

Para-Noid
Failing that, I just have you boys hoik the punter onto a trolley for us. :p

In the likely event that there is a surplus to requirement group of Firefighters in the immediate vicinity, I would politely request that said fine gentleman should raise in an upward manner the poor unfortunate person to a height of 2.5feet where upon there shall be a lateral shift in the direction of the dedicated patient transporting cradle(cot) where upon said individual as refereed to in previous action will now be at a raised elevation to facilitate the effective compression of said individuals chest. Such so that said compressive action action will be carried out at a height where the impact on the lovely LAS issue green pants and or flight suit knees areas shall be kept to a minimum.

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
In the likely event that there is a surplus to requirement group of Firefighters in the immediate vicinity, I would politely request that said fine gentleman should raise in an upward manner the poor unfortunate person to a height of 2.5feet where upon there shall be a lateral shift in the direction of the dedicated patient transporting cradle(cot) where upon said individual as refereed to in previous action will now be at a raised elevation to facilitate the effective compression of said individuals chest. Such so that said compressive action action will be carried out at a height where the impact on the lovely LAS issue green pants and or flight suit knees areas shall be kept to a minimum.
You're so civilised, I like that! ^_^

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
In the likely event that there is a surplus to requirement group of Firefighters in the immediate vicinity...

...one of said surplus firefighters can do the chest compressions, since their bunkers are waterproof.

Sorry, this is what you get when you're doing CPR in the middle of a roadway with a foot of snow on the ground. And the best I can do after 36 hours or so on duty.