could this have gone better

jzemt

Forum Ride Along
Friday night I had a level 1 trauma. This is bad in any situation but to make things worse it was my grandpa and I was one of his care givers.

Friday night around 2100 my uncle was taking my grandfather home in his van. When they arrived there my grandfather, who is 75, got out of the van, said "I cant see", fell backward and hit the back of his head hard on the pavement. I was near by and my uncle called me in a frenzy. I was there in about a minute. Right away I realized he was unresponsive and I checked for a pulse. He was breathing what sounded like agonal respiration. My uncle was already calling 911. I shouted at him tell them class 1 trauma unresponsive person(class 1 being lights and sirens with a paramedic in our region). I made sure the airway was clear and felt for pulse again and felt it. I released his shirt and sweater. I got my cousin to maintain his airway, because his tongue kept falling toward the back of his throat, with a comb he had in his pocket. I asked a nurse on scene to check blood sugar because he was diabetic. She did and it was 42. I got the only thing I could find, thick maple syrup.... I know no oral glucose. I put some on my finger and put it in his cheeks, making sure to prevent it from going down his throat. Still unresponsive. Blood pressure cuff was available but no steth. Palpated at 160. We watched as his pupils went from constricted and equal to the left pupil blowing. Put a towel under his head carefully to control the bleeding. EMS arrived about 12 minutes after calling 911. Paramedic was there in 14 minutes. We had him boarded and collared as the medic got set up in the ambulance. We went class 1 to nearest trauma center and arrived there in 32 minutes. They had him in CT and intubated within 5 minutes of arrival at hospital. Total time from fall to hospital was about 50 minutes.
He is now still in coma and doctors give him less than 1 percent chance of survival. They operated to release the pressure in his brain right after CT scan.

any suggestions how this call went. I found out how much harder it is to work on a close family member.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
with no gear/equipment you done as well as you could.. i wouldnt of went for oral glucose though in my opnion as in my area oral glucose is contraindicated if patient is unresponsive. glucogon is the one that was needed. once abc's were maintained until ems arrived call it a job well done. a trauma jaw thrust would keep the airway patent without need for a modified airway adjunct

Radioactive

Forum Probie
I say you did as well as could be expected. I'd have skipped the maple syrup, but it surely didn't do him any harm. Quick thinking with the 'modified airway adjunct,' too, as long as you were very careful with it.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Looks like good work to me.

911 activated, airway maintained, proper identification of both medical and traumatic components, attempt to treat reversible causes, rapid transport to the appropriate facility.

Textbook.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather.

It sounds like you did everything you could for him and I'm sure the EMS responders and hospital staff, as well as your family, appreciate that a lot.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Looks like good work to me.

911 activated, airway maintained, proper identification of both medical and traumatic components, attempt to treat reversible causes, rapid transport to the appropriate facility.

Textbook.

+1. You did what you could, so don't beat yourself up about it.

nemedic

Forum Captain
With everything you have said, it seems that you have done everything you possibly could have, given the location and equipment on hand.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Sorry about your grandfather's illness.

ABC's, call for 911...when it's intracranial, not much more to do.

HNutley

Forum Probie
I agree. Working on a family member is one of the hardest things we can do. However you kept your cool, followed your training and did good. I would have not done the syrup as he was unresponsive but overall job well done.

rjw225

Forum Probie
I'm way too new to judge anyone's performance, but I hope I'm able to keep such a cool head in case I ever have to work on a family member in such frustratingly limiting circumstances.

I hope your grandpa's condition improves.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
Total Posts
Total Posts: 1
Posts Per Day: 0.80

that's quite the first post...
we'll see..