could i REALLY be bad luck??

emtgirl_in_training

Forum Crew Member
i've only been on the street since 12/25. in the past 3 weeks the following has happened:
1. we get to a mva, clearly BS. the pt demands to be boarded/collared. we get him in the bus and my partner goes to start the engine and it doesn't even roll over. the pt starts screaming how uncomfortable he is and then removes everything from himself, opens the back doors and hops out and drives away. my partner and i are then stuck on the side of the road for 2 hrs waiting for roadside.
2. my first tour of overtime, on our first call, the partner i'm working with actually carries the pt to the bus by himself (the kid was 7 and was no more than 70 lbs)-- no problems. we finish the call, go to 7-11 and my partner throws his back out pouring coffee.
3. the partner i'm working with and i head to an EDP call. everything is going great till i go to seatbelt him in, the pt flips out b/c he thought we were just going to "check him out" and let him go. my partner goes to open the back doors from the outside, just at the same time the EDP is opening them from the inside. the EDP jumps on my partner, scratches him all over his arm and then is finally cuffed by PD.
4. tonight we go to an EDP call. we get there, ask is the guy was tossed and the cops are like "yeah yeah" and we get to the hopsital and the nurse wants him searched again and they find a 7 inch knife on him.

there are a few more stories that i can't seem to remember off hand... do you guys think i'm cursed?? and all my partners are doomed??

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No, just welcome to EMS. That to me (except the truck breaking down) is an average day in the life of EMS.

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
if thats the cloud you have hovering over you, youll do fine. my cloud is way blacker!!!!!

why wouldnt the truck start? you didnt by any chance pull up on scene, leave all the light going and shut the motor off?????? seen that happens more times than i can count. of course it coule be a bad truck, seen that quite a few times as well.

klogerg

Forum Probie
You'd be suprised how often crazy, seemingly uncommon occurences happen to you on the road. I've been working for only about 6 months, and I've had plenty of weird stuff happen to me. And yes, one of them was the truck not starting with a pt. in the back. relax, and enjoy exploring the great unkown of the daily life of a road EMT!!!!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Have faith, keep you and your partner safe, and most of all breathe!! :)

m33kr0b

Forum Crew Member
i am sorry for being off topic here. I have heard the term edp around and know in general what it means(frequent flier) but what does it stand for? I guess it is not used in my area because I have not found anyone here who knows.

Thanks,
Josh

yowzer

Forum Lieutenant
i am sorry for being off topic here. I have heard the term edp around and know in general what it means(frequent flier) but what does it stand for? I guess it is not used in my area because I have not found anyone here who knows.

Emotionally Disturbed Person.

Usually your typical crazy as a cuckoo not taking their meds psych patient, or suicide attempt.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't say that you're cursed, but I'm glad I'm not your partner...

(Just joking).

Serioulsy, though, welcome to EMS, and just be grateful that your shifts aren't boring.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
we get him in the bus and my partner goes to start the engine and it doesn't even roll over.

i got in trouble doing compressions on the hood of a similar rig once....

~S~

Fedmedic

Forum Lieutenant
i got in trouble doing compressions on the hood of a similar rig once....

~S~

We used to do compressions on empty beer pitchers....I think the bar maid thought we were EDP....

m33kr0b

Forum Crew Member
thank you, I was thinking along the lines of emergency dependant person. Thanks much