Cot X vs. H Frame

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Can anybody help explain to me the difference between the "X" style frame of a cot, and the "H" style?

Here are some differences that I gathered thus far:

H-Frame cots are easier to roll in/ roll out
The H-Frame requires only one attendant when rolling an empty cot into the rig
X-Frame cots are less likely to tilt over
X-Frame cots are less likely to experience a "cot drop"

Thanks.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, you can one man load an x-frame cot into an ambulance. Hook the bar, pull the release handle, squat down [don't life with your back] to collapse the frame, release the handle, stand back up.

The problem is that most people are tempted to/end up lifting with their back which contributes to back injuries.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Well, you can one man load an x-frame cot into an ambulance. Hook the bar, pull the release handle, squat down [don't life with your back] to collapse the frame, release the handle, stand back up.

The problem is that most people are tempted to/end up lifting with their back which contributes to back injuries.

^^^^Not recommended with a patient on the cot :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
Only if you love your back. :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Law 2: Gomers Go To Ground. I figure why fight nature. B)

OP
OP
M

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Am I also right to assume that you HAVE to hold the release handle when you pull an X-frame out? (Not the case with a H-frame?)

I only use a H-Frame at work so I really don't have a clue unless I want to play with another company's rig when they're not looking. :blush:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yep. Pull out, partner grabs the under carriage, handle is pulled, partner lowers undercarriage to the ground. You can do the reverse of what I posted above, or you can just let it drop (not recommended due to wear and tear) without someone lowering it. [last two not recommended with a patient on the gurney]