Corpus Christi and TX in General

vassago1488

Forum Ride Along
Background: 13 year Paramedic, last EMS position as supervisor in Las Vegas.

Currently working as a contractor overseas. Looking to get out of the sandbox and purchase another house in TX. Been checking prices in Corpus Christi specifically and they seem decent. I've never actually been there before, though.

Guardian appears to be the main 911 provider there, and then a couple helo companies out of there as well. Basically looking for any info on the companies down there, what average medic pay is for the area, and if anyone has specifics on what the lifestyle is like down there besides what I can find in a general Google search.

Absolutely not interested in a strictly IFT gig. I'd rather go PD than do that.

RiderMedic

Forum Crew Member
Guardian does 911 in the Portland area only. Nearest 911 they have is the city of Alice about 45 minutes to an hour away. Other than that it's IFT and Nursing Home emergencies.

Acadian just moved in to the area but they're IFT only as well.

For 911 in Corpus area you're looking at the Corpus Christi Fire Department.

There's also Aransas County EMS just north of Corpus as well.

As far as HEMS in Corpus the only gig in town is HALO FLIGHT and they have a very good reputation but pretty sure they're not hiring right now.

If they were I'D be applying in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
vassago1488

vassago1488

Forum Ride Along
Thanks

Well, if that's the case, guess I'll just check out Katy up near Houston then. I appreciate the heads up.

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
If you're interested in doing 911 and making a good living at it, I'd recommend getting your fire cert.

It's probably the best bang for your buck.

Take care,
Pete

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
But if you're interested in working with paramedics who enjoy being medics and care about the medical side of things, definitely don't go get your fire cert. Your sanity will thank you.

There are plenty of good EMS-only 911 systems near the Houston area.

OP
OP
vassago1488

vassago1488

Forum Ride Along
Thanks again

Thanks for the tip, sweetpete. I've already got it though. Being almost 37, I'm really not into the idea of going and starting as a rookie again. I've also made good money these last 4 years contracting, and can go back to it for fill contracts whenever once I quit, so if I was to take a job with an FD that option would be out.

STXmedic, that's pretty much all I want. I don't want to work towards a job in fire. Gave that idea up years ago.

One more question to anyone following this... I've been looking at the state's site and trying to figure out the ambiguous wording for the reciprocation. As I understand it, I need NatReg and another state cert. However, there's a difference between a licensed and certified paramedic in Texas? So if I want to be licensed I need either an AS in Paramedicine or any BA? But if I don't have the educational requirements, I can still show proof of licensure in other states along with NatReg and still get something that says I can work as a medic, correct?

kindofafireguy

Forum Crew Member
Licensure versus certification doesn't really mean much. As far as scope goes its exactly the same. If you're looking for strict 911, look at Cypress Creek, Montgomery County hospital district, Beaumont EMS, Harris County Emergency Corps.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
All you need is National Registry. There is zero difference between a Licensed Paramedic and certified Paramedic in Texas, except for the patch. Give them your NR and some money, and they'll give you your cert.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Thanks for the tip, sweetpete. I've already got it though. Being almost 37, I'm really not into the idea of going and starting as a rookie again. I've also made good money these last 4 years contracting, and can go back to it for fill contracts whenever once I quit, so if I was to take a job with an FD that option would be out.

STXmedic, that's pretty much all I want. I don't want to work towards a job in fire. Gave that idea up years ago.

One more question to anyone following this... I've been looking at the state's site and trying to figure out the ambiguous wording for the reciprocation. As I understand it, I need NatReg and another state cert. However, there's a difference between a licensed and certified paramedic in Texas? So if I want to be licensed I need either an AS in Paramedicine or any BA? But if I don't have the educational requirements, I can still show proof of licensure in other states along with NatReg and still get something that says I can work as a medic, correct?

All you need is NR and a history of other state certs that show you in good standing, current ACLS and a clear background check. Takes 6-9 weeks.

OP
OP
vassago1488

vassago1488

Forum Ride Along
Yeah, I'm good on all that. I'd like to start getting it done now but getting fingerprinted while in Afghanistan might be tough. Not sure if they'd accept my current clearance or not, and if I had to get fingerprinted at the Embassy I'm not sure whether they'd accept it either. I really don't feel like having to fly all the way to Texas on leave just to get fingerprinted.