copd

afib

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
copd patient unknown age resp rate 37.do you bag or not also how much 02 should be given

No, you do not bag unless respiratory failure is imminent. And you don't give oxygen unless clinically indicated.

What's her SPo2 levels? Lung sounds? Resp effort? Skin signs? All other vital signs? Is she having trouble breathing or just tachypnea? If she is having trouble breathing what was she doing before hand. What's the patients mental status?

More then likely patient will be given breathing treatments or CPAP or CPAP with a breathing treatment mixed in.

What's her SPo2 levels? Lung sounds? Resp effort? Skin signs? All other vital signs? Is she having trouble breathing or just tachypnea? If she is having trouble breathing what was she doing before hand. What's the patients mental status?

More then likely patient will be given breathing treatments or CPAP or CPAP with a breathing treatment mixed in.

what they said

copd patient unknown age resp rate 37.do you bag or not also how much 02 should be given

The decision to intervene is usually based on the patients level of consciousness, whether their condition is subjectively improving, and whether they're starting to fatigue. There's not a set SpO2, ETCO2, or RR where this is going to happen.

Ideally we provide a high enough O2 concentration to keep SpO2 > 90% if they're a known COPDer If there's a potential ischemic component to the symptoms, maybe we keep that a little higher. Even this is subjective, if they're still in distress at 90%, we can go higher and see if it helps. CPAP may be helpful here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The decision to intervene is usually based on the patients level of consciousness, whether their condition is subjectively improving, and whether they're starting to fatigue. There's not a set SpO2, ETCO2, or RR where this is going to happen.

Ideally we provide a high enough O2 concentration to keep SpO2 > 90% if they're a known COPDer If there's a potential ischemic component to the symptoms, maybe we keep that a little higher. Even this is subjective, if they're still in distress at 90%, we can go higher and see if it helps. CPAP may be helpful here.

I would just add if the patient is on home O2 for COPD and having an acute exacerbation, I would increase the O2 1 or 2 LPM no matter the Spo2 reading. If that didn't help, I would back it down.

Yes you bag them with high flow O2.

You're welcome for me doing your homework for you. :rolleyes:

Without more information we can't tell you what you should do.

In the majority of patients that meet your stipulations if you're my partner and tried to bag this patient I'd probably slap you upside the head and tell you to get up front and drive...and I get along with everyone for the most part.

"Without more information we can't tell you what you should do."

Never stopped most of us at one time or another.;)

If you are afraid O2 will push the COPD patient into resp arrest, the answer is not likely given field measures and length of time administered.

Back