Cooler

marcus2011

Forum Crew Member
Weird thing to posting at 2:20am but I need a suggestion on a good cooler to carry back and forth to work. I'm attempting to eat a little healthier and cheaper by bringing food and drink for my 24 hour shifts. Only requirement is that I can buy it from amazon ( ordering alot from their come friday so I can just bundle it together) Thanks guys

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
http://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Playmate-Personal-Cooler-12-Inch/dp/B000695WL2/ looks very much like the cooler I would take to college with me years ago to carry my breakfast, lunch, and snacks. I was a commuter student. To save space, I would freeze juice boxes and use them as ice-packs. I'd also put a couple unfrozen juice boxes to drink before the other ones thawed out. By the end of my longer school-days, the frozen juice boxes would be slushy, and either could be eaten with a spoon, or put back in the freezer to use the next day.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Weird thing to posting at 2:20am but I need a suggestion on a good cooler to carry back and forth to work. I'm attempting to eat a little healthier and cheaper by bringing food and drink for my 24 hour shifts. Only requirement is that I can buy it from amazon ( ordering alot from their come friday so I can just bundle it together) Thanks guys

For how long a day? 12/24/36/48?

I carry most of my food when I'm at work for 3 days at a time. I would suggest a soft sided square cooler with a hard plastic insert. You can pack the insert with your food then stick it in the fridge then in the morning just drop the insert back into the soft sided carrier and off you go. Keeps you from having to waste time trying to get it to fit in the am. The insert is also easy to clean and prevents the bag from getting all wet as ice melts. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/Ensign-Peak-Large-Insulated-Cooler/dp/B000IG47VE/ref=pd_sim_k_2

Achilles

Forum Moron
The only problem I have is I eat all of the food in the first ten minutes :(

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I use one of those little squared off six-pack coolers with a removable plastic shell and a shoulder strap, bought it used for $2. I can pack a coupe begs, some string cheese, a few granola bars and a sandwich in it, the less dead space/the fuller I pack it the cooler it stays. If I want it to stay cooler longer, I wrap the whole thing in a towel or slip it into one of those silver mylar cold sacks from the grocery store until I get to my destination.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
The only problem I have is I eat all of the food in the first ten minutes :(

The trick is to put stuff in it that you're not really crazy about. Slows the eating down a bit :)

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
I use this one, from target:

13273927.jpg

it's not horrible. I like that there are a few different compartments to help protect the crushables (grapes, sandwiches) from the heavy things (yogurts, carrots) that would smoosh them.

Can get a "stink" if left uncleaned after I get home from a 36hr shift tho :p So I have to be diligent about washing it and letting it air dry out.

Last edited by a moderator: