Constantly using your trauma shears? HIGHLY RECOMENDED!

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Not bad, they look practical but i'd be scared of being labelled as a whacker, seems you can buy them for $14

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramis46

Forum Crew Member
I wonder how they would feel in your hands, or how much they would get snagged on stuff while in your pocket., and only $14, thats not bad though.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OP, what is your review of them? (I am to understand it is just the V blade attachment and note the shears for sale as well?).

I used V blades before in USAF harness cutter and have used the big "tetrasnip" type shears pictured for decades. I have not used this product. Their claim it is good on loose materials would be a "no" for V-blades and a "yes, OK" for the shears, the "V" cutter needs either/or some lateral tension and a LOT of longitudinal tension to work. I have always found that the shears are sufficient, or manual ripping; those fractions of a second usually just SEEM to be hours long.

That said, it might replace the "escape tool" I have in my car thanks to my sister one Christmas.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I've never come across clothing that wasn't easily removable by shears and manual tearing. Seems like a very unneeded extra bulk/hassle for an already easy job.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
How do they work on down garments?

pillow-fight-300x185.jpg

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I was given a pair, used them on one call... found that regular shears worked just as well.

Then my shears with the RipShear attachment were "liberated" by another person on scene and I never saw them again.

Can't say I missed them.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
How do they work on down garments?

pillow-fight-300x185.jpg

Cutting a down garment.

A once in a career activity.

(mostly because after you have to clean it up, you will never do it again)

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I have a pair, they are really good for cutting wetsuits off, tight girl jeans, ripping apart shoelaces

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Cutting a down garment.

Depends on the career. My friend is a RN that works in the ER. He says he uses his almost daily.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Depends on the career. My friend is a RN that works in the ER. He says he uses his almost daily.

I think he's referring to specifically down jackets :unsure:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

hoop762

Forum Crew Member
I have some of these. I love them! They work very well for removing clothes in a trauma situation. But honestly they don't work that much better than my shears alone.

The reason I love it so much is the glow-in-the-dark one keeps me from losing my shears when im working at nite in the middle of a field or a house with no power.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Cutting a down garment.

Did it once at the Snow Park for an anterior shoulder dislocation. Not so bad outside, when the ground is already white, and their is a slight breeze. There were little feathers flying over 60 acres of property. Looked like it was snowing.

OP
OP
*MX-EMT

*MX-EMT

Forum Crew Member
Where i work i go through about a pair of shears a week. sometimes more. This tool only comes with the bolt on attachment. Works great for cutting through dirtbike pants or any thicker material that would take a normal pair of shears sometime.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiskeySix5

Forum Crew Member
I have a pair. They are ok when used in specific scenarios, otherwise they just sit there and make the shears heavier. A lot of people look at it and say "nice seatbelt cutter"....

Pro's:
They do a decent job of cutting through thicker stuff that you could not rip. Much less movement of the patient with this than "ripping", much faster than cutting with shears if time is a factor, great for removing laces really fast. They offer replacement blades.

Cons:
You have to make an initial cut anyway, so not useful for small cuts, price, and they make your shears a little more unwieldy.

Bottom line for me... a decent tool, has it's place, and nice to have if they adjust the price. Simply way too much money for a tool I do not "have" to have.

Veneficus

Forum Chief