conflict between my current job and emt training

jd3123

Forum Probie
I just started my apprenticeship as a locksmith last week because I want to keep all my options on the table for a career. I put my emt training on postpone because of this, the locksmith training is very difficult mentally but my trainer said it should start to become second nature in a month. What I really want to do with my career is paramedic and maybe advance.from their. I fully expect the paramedic training to be extremely difficult but would I be able to comprehend emt training and my new trade at the same time? Or should I wait a couple months to start the emt? Thanks

phideux

Forum Captain
I did a little locksmith work years back, if you think that is mentally difficult, wait until you start getting into Pharmacology or Cardiology. :blink::blink:

OP
OP
J

jd3123

Forum Probie
I did a little locksmith work years back, if you think that is mentally difficult, wait until you start getting into Pharmacology or Cardiology. :blink::blink:

Lol I've only been on the job for 2 days and had no training before hand. So far in 2 days he tought me to use a bump key and pick to open a lock, we have taken out car door locks, trunks. Tought me to re key and take out a regluar door lock, also how to find out the codes for the cars, it's been a lot to processes in 2 days but I expect in few Weeks it will become clear and hopefully can start my emt. I have no idea how difficult it is that's why I'm wondering if I should save my money and start the training in the summer or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

blachatch

Forum Lieutenant
Paramedic school is very stressful and difficult at times. It requires a lot of time out of class. Cardiology will make your head spin at times!:sad:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
EMT training is easy, in my opinion. The books are written at a high school, some may even argue middle school reading level. That's true even at the Paramedic level.

I worked FT hours as an Intermediate during paramedic school. Was consistently pulling 100+ hour weeks, it wasn't fun but I did it. Graduated as the Valedictorian of my class as well. You just have to put in the time and effort. No reason you can't work as a locksmith and go to EMT or even Paramedic school at the same time.

In a perfect world you could not work at all and focus 100% on school but unfortunately life doesn't just pause your bills for you just because you're in school.