Conficker computer worm

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Happy April Fools day everyone, however this isn't an April Fools joke.. this is a serious issue. Microsoft has confirmed that a major virus will be released at 12:00 am on April 1st. Here is what Microsoft had to say about this virus...

The Conficker worm is a computer worm that can infect your computer and spread itself to other computers across a network automatically, without human interaction.

Am I at risk of having the Conficker worm?
Most antivirus software could detect and block the Conficker worm, so if you have updated antivirus software on your computer, you are at a much lower risk of being infected by the Conficker worm.

If you or your network administrator have not installed the latest security updates from Microsoft and your antivirus provider, and if you have file-sharing turned on, the Conficker worm could allow remote code execution. Remote code execution allows an attacker to take control of your computer and use it for malicious purposes.

To read the rest of the article.. click here.

Wikipedia article:
Conficker, also known as Downup, Downadup and Kido, is a computer worm that surfaced in October 2008 and targets the Microsoft Windows operating system.[1] The worm exploits a previously patched vulnerability in the Windows Server service used by Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 Beta, and Windows Server 2008 R2 Beta.[2] The worm has been unusually difficult for network operators and law enforcement to counter because of its combined use of advanced malware techniques.

Some recommendations to keeping your computer safe is:
Also, simply disconnecting your computer from the internet is not enough to stop the virus, as it can attack your computer once you re connect to the net.

Anywho.. I'm sure one of the more computer savvy people on this site can elaborate more on what to and what not to do to keep your computer safe from this virus.. all I know is Microsoft has issued a $250,000.00 reward for the capture of the person(s) responsible for creating this virus.

Well I'm off to bed, have a good night all!

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Last edited by a moderator:

trevor1189

Forum Captain
OSX Baby! <3 my macbook

JPINFV

Gadfly
Virus scan and Microsoft automatic update for the win. People who don't update their computers get what they deserve.