Concerned about Adminstering Diastat

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, as a teacher in Michigan, you are exempt from both civil and criminal liability for administration of medication to a student in an emergency situation as long as:

1. The medication is prescribed to the student and has directions for use by the physician.
2. There is an authorization note from the parents.
3. You give the medication in the presence of another adult.

This is all from MCL 380.1178 if you want to look it up. = QUOTE]

Redcross,
Isn't Michigan doing a good job! While there may be a ways to go yet, we've pioneered progress going way back to the 60's. Do ya suppose having 3 major children's hospitals in the area might have had something to do with it??

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Redcross,
Isn't Michigan doing a good job! While there may be a ways to go yet, we've pioneered progress going way back to the 60's. Do ya suppose having 3 major children's hospitals in the area might have had something to do with it??

A lot better than many states, but there's still much to be done. I do like the school MFR program here, but it still doesn't solve the medication administration problem.

Also, no reason why lay responders can't give albuterol MDI and epi-pens without a prescription or authorization from the parents. These are life saving things that are available without a prescription for your first aid kit in many countries.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
A lot better than many states, but there's still much to be done. I do like the school MFR program here, but it still doesn't solve the medication administration problem.

Also, no reason why lay responders can't give albuterol MDI and epi-pens without a prescription or authorization from the parents. These are life saving things that are available without a prescription for your first aid kit in many countries.

Laypersons can help administer prescribed epi pens and nebulized treatments. Been teaching that standard in school/corporate settings for the last 3-4 years. Sometimes it gets right down to a district's or business' own policy on the subject.

New teachers in MI have to have CPR/AED/FA however, only a select number are required to keep their certs current. Coaches, most special ed (including para-pro's), nurses, gym teachers and pre-school for sure. Our district bus drivers even have to recert in CPR yearly. Not sure about FA though.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
That puts the school systems back to the 1960s which much of EMS is still stuck.

It is sad that the Paramedic education does not include more about the medical needs children or more about pediatrics to see how broad this issue is and that is it often the teachers that do know their students. The Paramedic might then understand where time is the issue and not their own delicate issues of insecurity that a teacher can do what they can. That essentially is what this is about. Other medical professions have given their support to the teachers in legislative issues and with preparing them for medical needs children.

It is also sad that you don't see that if you take the meds out of the schools that it will also include the inhalers out of the hands of children and where does it stop? Definitely take away the AED and the emergency O2! The kids will no longer able to attend schools again or at least be denied the same opportunities as others. This has been a lengthy process starting in the 1970s and really getting noticed in the 1980s. It was not a spur of the moment decision and has been hashed out in the court systems across the country. Again, a sad note that some do not pay attention to the many medical issues around them and that goes for the EMTs who may even have school age children. Times are changing and the attitudes of EMS providers need to change and to enhance their own education to change with medicine and education as they evolve.

It doesn't put the school system back in the 60's or 70's because I never said no medical care, I said no advanced medical care by TEACHERS. It should be a requirement that these schools have a medical provider on site. Period. End of discussion. I never said to take anything out of schools, I never said don't have teachers who know CPR or rescue breathing or supportive care.

Leave the teaching to teachers and the medical care to medical professionals.

I also believe I said that some things, like assisting with Epi pens or inhalers should be allowed with proper training. As I said before, in those cases the teacher is assisting with a medication the student could administer themselves, and can sometimes tell the teacher they need.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It doesn't put the school system back in the 60's or 70's because I never said no medical care, I said no advanced medical care by TEACHERS. It should be a requirement that these schools have a medical provider on site. Period. End of discussion. I never said to take anything out of schools, I never said don't have teachers who know CPR or rescue breathing or supportive care.

Leave the teaching to teachers and the medical care to medical professionals.

Do you realize how many school systems there are in this country? What about the daycares? Of course every school would love to have their own nurse but that hasn't been possible since the 60s and 70s. EMTs would be of no use since they have way less training than most of the teachers about pediatrics and these meds. Their scope of practices would also not allow them to do much more than call 911 and start CPR. The teachers aren't "advanced" by giving prescribed medicine.