Compton fire, ambulance company

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
On point, i used to work for a small IFT companies and many times these SNFs will call us to transport pt to an ER and when we get load them up their condition goes to sh*t and we are forced to call fire due to our protocol and fire just hopes on board with us or en route we up grade to code three. Happened to be a couple times. I see a lot of ambulance companies doing it. I know "LifeLine" goes code 3 at times during CCT transports for reason I DONT UNDERSTAND/KNOW.

and i know for the eastside of LA county AMR and Cole-Schafer have a mutual aid system and CS calls AMR a lot to pick up some calls for recourses during MCI's. Such as the bus that flipped on the freeway like 2 months ago. CS called AMR and McCormick. BOOHOO CAREBEARS! :rofl:

Wow, I live in the SGV and I can't remember the last time I've seen a McCormick unit around here, that must've been some ungodly response time for them since their nearest station is probably a good 30 min away without traffic.

Just the other day I saw an LACoFD squad leading McCormick into the hospital. Me and my partner theorized that it was simply a new driver who didn't quite know where Torrance Memorial was.

When I was doing CCT with PRN the one and only time I did lights and sirens was when our patient decided to have her STEMI in a hospital without a cath lab (so instead of the paramedics 12 leading her and going straight to the cath lab she was code blue'd to the ER who then realized what they had)

bobsicle

Forum Ride Along
AmeriCare use to back up Compton and Downey when there front line rigs were busy, or if the patient wanted to go to county or something. AmeriCare would recieve maybe 20 calls from Downey and 10 from Compton a week, and give 5-10 minute ETA, but would arrive in 30 minutes. CFD and DFD got tired of this and now call Liberty first.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
We get quite a lot of code 3 transports for an IFT company. I generally hear one or two code 3 calls per day. When I was on a medic unit we usually got an emergency transfer at least once per week, if not more. We do Kaisers Code 3 and Keck's Code 3 transports. I've also picked up from some clinics and had to upgrade due to various reasons. But we downgraded our only 911 contract because it was becoming a nuisance for us and the city since we didnt have any dedicated rigs. But I know we are looking into new 911 contracts.

I had a PRN guy come up to me and say he wanted to come to us since we do so much more code 3 than them... I guess if thats your thing, cool. I know PRN doesnt get as many kaiser code 3s as we do. Dunno if thats by design or chance though. The way I understand it, the contract is split 50/50.

Has anyone else noticed these smaller start ups running code with non-functioning light bars? Ive seen a few liberty rigs run code and the light bar doesnt even turn on. Just the 3 big red squares on the front, which technically, is still legal, but shady non-the-less. I saw a MedReach rig going code, same thing, no functioning light bar. I wouldn't like that if it was me driving.

I like our emergency transfers. They are usually pretty interesting, and allow you to actually exercise your EMT brain and assist the medic or nurse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
As far as running code 3 with working light bar depends on the rig. If you worked on enough of them you'll notice that configuration might change a bit. Example being that some rigs have a dedicated switch for the light bar. It can be easily over looked if the driver is not familiar with rig or is just plain excited about running a call on a "1" (aka code 3).

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
That happenedto me. Or my medic rather, he was driving. He overlooked the master switch but the siren was on.

Its important to be familiar with your equuptment. When I get a trainee I take them to all of the configurations and show them.

I can think of any of our units with a seperate light bar switch though. All of ours say primary/secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoeyxd

Forum Probie
I'm not sure where you got your info. Ambuserve is not owned my Westmed. Also, you're implying that the other private ambulance companies you mentioned aren't operating for profit?

The CEO of ambuserve supposedly is the son of mccormicks CEO

hoeyxd

Forum Probie
Check their websites. Several companies say they back up Compton and Downey. Liberty, Americare, and Mercy (just Downey) are just a few who I know say they provide back up.

Mccormick also backs up Compton, haha. I think the captain has a bunch of ambulance companies in a hat and whichever one he choses he calls

cspinebrah

Forum Crew Member
California law states that you need a single steady burning red light on the from of your rig to drive code 3, but i do see some 911 companies that don't even have that but I wont get into that.
And as far as Compton Fire I think they are going to be switching to a squad and private ambu company. Another thing i've been hearing about that is AMR will be inhouse with them by mid next year, but time will tell!

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Compton uses their own in house Ambulance Operators (similar to Glendale, Downey, Hermosa Beach and a couple other area departments. Rather than contract with a private company for BLS ambulance response, they hire single role EMTs who are Fire Dept employees operating Fire Dept ambulances.
Today the Fire Department has 84 sworn employees and five civilian employees. Its resources include four fire stations and nine front-line emergency vehicles comprised of four fire engines, one truck, two paramedic squads, and two basic life support transport ambulances.
http://www.comptoncity.org/index.php/fire-department/fire-department-overview.htm

http://www.comptoncity.org/index.php/Job-Specs.htm

If an incident exceeds the scope of City resources, the department has access to resources of nearby fire departments in Vernon, Downey, Santa Fe Springs and Montebello.
So sounds like if they have 3 or more calls at once and need a back up response they'll call on of those departments which will more than likely dispatch an RA or other paramedic resource and transport (for example if Compton called Montebello, Montebello would send a Paramedic Engine company and Care Ambulance, their normal BLS provider)

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Yep, Compton Fire has its own ambulances. Last I heard, McCormick and Care provide backup as needed.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
We get quite a lot of code 3 transports for an IFT company. I generally hear one or two code 3 calls per day. When I was on a medic unit we usually got an emergency transfer at least once per week, if not more. We do Kaisers Code 3 and Keck's Code 3 transports. I've also picked up from some clinics and had to upgrade due to various reasons. But we downgraded our only 911 contract because it was becoming a nuisance for us and the city since we didnt have any dedicated rigs. But I know we are looking into new 911 contracts.

I had a PRN guy come up to me and say he wanted to come to us since we do so much more code 3 than them... I guess if thats your thing, cool. I know PRN doesnt get as many kaiser code 3s as we do. Dunno if thats by design or chance though. The way I understand it, the contract is split 50/50.

Has anyone else noticed these smaller start ups running code with non-functioning light bars? Ive seen a few liberty rigs run code and the light bar doesnt even turn on. Just the 3 big red squares on the front, which technically, is still legal, but shady non-the-less. I saw a MedReach rig going code, same thing, no functioning light bar. I wouldn't like that if it was me driving.

I like our emergency transfers. They are usually pretty interesting, and allow you to actually exercise your EMT brain and assist the medic or nurse.
If you don't mind me asking, where do you work?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Lol I never actually ran a dialysis transfer until Acadian.

ImVenom

Forum Probie
HEARD THIS OWNER BEATS UP HIS EMPLOYEES AND DOESNT PAY THEM ON TIME? IS THIS TRUE? EXPLORER-1 AMBULANCE IN CAMPTON.