Compton fire, ambulance company

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
Today as I was passively playing street fighter on my phone, I noticed Liberty ambulance going code 3, another day when I was at PIH in Whittier I noticed another liberty ambulance coming in hot with fire , does anyone know if they have fire contracts like care/Mccormick ?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Today as I was passively playing street fighter on my phone, I noticed Liberty ambulance going code 3, another day when I was at PIH in Whittier I noticed another liberty ambulance coming in hot with fire , does anyone know if they have fire contracts like care/Mccormick ?

Only companies with primary 911 response contracts in LA Co are Schaefer, AMR, Care, McCormick, Gerber, and AmeriCare.

I know Bowers has occasional backup response for City of Vernon Fire Dept. Beyond that I couldn't tell you who runs backup to local FDs.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Other than the ones listed, companies with back up contracts in LA County that I know of include MedCoast, Ambuserve, Explorer-1, Shoreline (primary in Westminster I think), but I've heard nothing about Liberty, though your experience seems to indicate they do.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Other than the ones listed, companies with back up contracts in LA County that I know of include MedCoast, Ambuserve, Explorer-1, Shoreline (primary in Westminster I think), but I've heard nothing about Liberty, though your experience seems to indicate they do.

For my own curiosity do you know where/what agencies those companies back up?

When I was at PRN, management said they backed up McCormick though it had been so long since they had a Call for that guys were wondering whether or not they still had that lol

I know for sure that Liberty backs up Downey.

OP
OP
Asclepius911

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
I was speaking to one of the emts at Harbor general, I'm not sure how if it's true or not, but he said they back up Compton, and Downey fire.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Funny, I spoke to an emt at medcoast and he said they back up Compton and Downey, americare backs up McCormick and care in south bay, and ambuserve backs up Gerber in Torrance and McCormick in the southern areas of their zones, more specifically I don't know.

Funny, I spoke to an emt at medcoast and he said they back up Compton and Downey, americare backs up McCormick and care in south bay, and ambuserve backs up Gerber in Torrance and McCormick in the southern areas of their zones, more specifically I don't know.

Multiple companies provide backup services for certain cities.

OP
OP
Asclepius911

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
Well I know ambuserve and mccormick are owned by westmed, and they back each other up, and mccormick steps into Gerber's turf in torrance as back up, PRN for sure 100% that they don't run fire calls (for profit only), and they don't even have jump bags, and I've seen Americare go code in the lakewood area so I figure they are back up for some cities near there (Compton, Downey, bellflower). Probably All those cities use all companies based near there.

Well I know ambuserve and mccormick are owned by westmed, and they back each other up, and mccormick steps into Gerber's turf in torrance as back up, PRN for sure 100% that they don't run fire calls (for profit only), and they don't even have jump bags, and I've seen Americare go code in the lakewood area so I figure they are back up for some cities near there (Compton, Downey, bellflower). Probably All those cities use all companies based near there.

I'm not sure where you got your info. Ambuserve is not owned my Westmed. Also, you're implying that the other private ambulance companies you mentioned aren't operating for profit?

OP
OP
Asclepius911

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
Well there is always company that only operate exclusively for profit and profit only, any other call they would drop, I know dispatchers from PRN that would drop fire calls because they "aren't suppose to take them", and of course all these companies are Trying to make money it's a business. But there are some companies that are willing borrow their resources regardless if there is no profit to be made such as those uninsured patients that live under a bridge that don't even have a name or ID, my sources are from networking you know , talking to people of other ambos companies, and co workers that move on to other jobs.

onrope

Forum Crew Member

This happens when a bls crew gets to a snf and then upgrades, usually with the pt already in the back loaded. Happened a few times when I worked Care, it was easier for the squad to jump in and go then to take the pt out and transfer onto another gurney. Legal per the contract? I have no idea but when you run 60,000 calls a year in LA county a few transports lost here or there is not going to break any emt's heart. As to the quality of emt skills and driving of the random ift companies that left some to be desired according to the squadies I ran with. Not a common sight but it does happen, usually with the squad leading because the ambulance has no idea where they are going.

On a side note I know that Care now runs Vernon's bls calls. The Care machine continues to grow

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
This happens when a bls crew gets to a snf and then upgrades, usually with the pt already in the back loaded. Happened a few times when I worked Care, it was easier for the squad to jump in and go then to take the pt out and transfer onto another gurney. Legal per the contract? I have no idea but when you run 60,000 calls a year in LA county a few transports lost here or there is not going to break any emt's heart. As to the quality of emt skills and driving of the random ift companies that left some to be desired according to the squadies I ran with. Not a common sight but it does happen, usually with the squad leading because the ambulance has no idea where they are going.

On a side note I know that Care now runs Vernon's bls calls. The Care machine continues to grow

I was dropping off at St Francis, when an Explorer-1 rig rolled in hot with Compton fire. I, along with a few other crews there, were pretty surprised. The crew seemed crazy with excitement. And I'll leave it that.

It was kinda cute.^_^

onrope

Forum Crew Member
I was dropping off at St Francis, when an Explorer-1 rig rolled in hot with Compton fire. I, along with a few other crews there, were pretty surprised. The crew seemed crazy with excitement. And I'll leave it that.

It was kinda cute.^_^

It is amusing. It doesn't take long for the glitz and glamour of 911 to wear off. Glorified ifts, especially when you have those days where 13/14 transports are bls and your two MARs are francis or white.

OP
OP
Asclepius911

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
I think that's the way it should be for most company, give emts the opportunity to experience ems , code 3, meeting with a fire engine or squad, spiking a bag, it keeps ems interesting. As oppose to running dialysis, wound care, or taking dear grandma to a doctor appointment, or helping move a 500 pounder wildebeest to go see her dietitian all day, any place, any where.

SurfEMT

Forum Probie
Check their websites. Several companies say they back up Compton and Downey. Liberty, Americare, and Mercy (just Downey) are just a few who I know say they provide back up.

dumluk

Forum Ride Along
Liberty is now the primary back-up for Downey. They also back up Compton, Vernon, and other surrounding towns.

Blueprint1970

Forum Probie

McCormick does not back up Torrance.

cspinebrah

Forum Crew Member

On point, i used to work for a small IFT companies and many times these SNFs will call us to transport pt to an ER and when we get load them up their condition goes to sh*t and we are forced to call fire due to our protocol and fire just hopes on board with us or en route we up grade to code three. Happened to be a couple times. I see a lot of ambulance companies doing it. I know "LifeLine" goes code 3 at times during CCT transports for reason I DONT UNDERSTAND/KNOW.

and i know for the eastside of LA county AMR and Cole-Schafer have a mutual aid system and CS calls AMR a lot to pick up some calls for recourses during MCI's. Such as the bus that flipped on the freeway like 2 months ago. CS called AMR and McCormick. BOOHOO CAREBEARS! :rofl: