Complete Cadaver Dissection (Caution May be Disturbing to Some)

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I remember in my EMT-B class the instructors had the medic students bring in the hearts they were dissecting when that was going on. It was pretty cool, but nothing I hadn't already seen in my college anat/phys class. I also remember my instructor had us watch these creepy dissection videos where the female doctor was way too friendly with her metal probe and gloved finger. She would just continuously run her finger up and down each ligament while talking about it, like she was caressing them...really creepy.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I also remember my instructor had us watch these creepy dissection videos where the female doctor was way too friendly with her metal probe and gloved finger. She would just continuously run her finger up and down each ligament while talking about it, like she was caressing them...really creepy.

Was she hot?

Actually, never mind, she can be what ever I want in my mind... I'll be in my bunk now...

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Although the cadaver is dead he is still a patient, my wonder is this a violation of the patients privacy. I also wonder about the next of kin and how they might feel if they were to learn their passed loved one was being displayed on the internet.
Students should consider cadaver research as a honor, and due respect to the person and family members should be remembered.

Not meaning to be negative here, I guess what I am getting at is that I hope these considerations were made prior to posting. Rob I know your intentions are good so no slight on you...

JPINFV

Gadfly
The family or the patient most likely signed a wavier prior to taping. There's a reason why Body Works isn't violating any laws with their display of human cadavers.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
The family or the patient most likely signed a wavier prior to taping. There's a reason why Body Works isn't violating any laws with their display of human cadavers.

Well if that is the case then all is well. I know on my drivers license application I just checked a box donate to science (Might reconsider though). When I took anatomy class we were expressly forbidden from taking any photos, but as long as the proper channels were followed then I think this is a great educational tool.

Ghost

Forum Crew Member
I'm thinking on burning all this to a single DVD. Would anyone like a copy?

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Although the cadaver is dead he is still a patient, my wonder is this a violation of the patients privacy. I also wonder about the next of kin and how they might feel if they were to learn their passed loved one was being displayed on the internet.
Students should consider cadaver research as a honor, and due respect to the person and family members should be remembered.

Not meaning to be negative here, I guess what I am getting at is that I hope these considerations were made prior to posting. Rob I know your intentions are good so no slight on you...

This is a cadaver dissection video which is used for the purposes of teaching cadaver dissections in Universities. It is a video series for medical schools that just so happened to be posted on youtube where I contacted the owner of the vid and got permission to post.

The footage is provided COURTESY of the University of Wisconsin Medical College, and of course the appropriate waivers were obtained.. When you donate your remains as an anatomical gift to a medical school, you do so with the understanding that the University may use your body for educational purposes in the lab as well as other media (Videos, Slideshows, etc). No laws or ethics were violated here.

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Well if that is the case then all is well. I know on my drivers license application I just checked a box donate to science (Might reconsider though). When I took anatomy class we were expressly forbidden from taking any photos, but as long as the proper channels were followed then I think this is a great educational tool.

You took cadaver anatomy at the associate degree level? I have never seen a cadaver dissection (Gross anatomy) course taught at anything less than a graduate level.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm thinking on burning all this to a single DVD. Would anyone like a copy?

You might want to request permission from the video's creator before burning and distributing it. I requested special permission to post the vids here.

Ghost

Forum Crew Member
You might want to request permission from the video's creator before burning and distributing it. I requested special permission to post the vids here.

Will Do! Thanks!

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Just emailed the link to my A&P teacher. She's gunna have a field day with this.

Ghost

Forum Crew Member
Just emailed the link to my A&P teacher. She's gunna have a field day with this.

Yeah dude, I'm going to have my mother check it out in the AM as well (shes a nurse).

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
You took cadaver anatomy at the associate degree level? I have never seen a cadaver dissection (Gross anatomy) course taught at anything less than a graduate level.

I took Human anatomy BIOL 260 at Southwestern Community college in Chula Vista Ca, back in 2006 and we worked on human cadavers. Since then, they have switched to cat dissections do to Ca, budget cuts. So if you wish to verify the veracity of what I say, contact the Biology dept at SWC.
http://www.swccd.edu/

Ghost

Forum Crew Member
I took Human anatomy BIOL 260 at Southwestern Community college in Chula Vista Ca, back in 2006 and we worked on human cadavers. Since then, they have switched to cat dissections do to Ca, budget cuts. So if you wish to verify the veracity of what I say, contact the Biology dept at SWC.

It really depends on the state, most states use cats. Human Dissections started fading around 2009, because of the economy.

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

No need to get worked up. I have no reason to not believe you, I was simply stating a fact that most cadaver anatomy courses involving human cadavers are graduate level and usually reserved only for medical students.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I know one of the exercise and sports science anatomy classes at UNC uses cadavers for their lab. This would be an undergrad program. Never seen the cadavers myself, but you can smell them when you walk by the rooms.

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I know one of the exercise and sports science anatomy classes at UNC uses cadavers for their lab. This would be an undergrad program. Never seen the cadavers myself, but you can smell them when you walk by the rooms.

I've been to one cadaver dissection, it was a regional educational conference.. emphasis was placed on the anatomy and vasculature of the deep neck

Ghost

Forum Crew Member
I've been to one cadaver dissection, it was a regional educational conference.. emphasis was placed on the anatomy and vasculature of the deep neck

How can one attend these classes?

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
How can one attend these classes?

Well in my case, it was an educational conference for individuals directly involved in the training of emergency and critical care nurses. However, you can take gross anatomy as part of medical school. With the exception of the programs pointed out by sandog and jjesusfreak01, most require you to be part of a masters or doctorate program, more than likely an M.D. program.

I am in my last semester of nurse practitioner school and while I am specializing in Acute care, my focus areas are in both research and education.. Therefore, I take part in a lot of regional and national conferences in nursing education with various organizations such as the ENA.

If you would like to get into one of these courses, I would suggest contacting a couple of colleges in your area (or a large city) and asking if they offer cadaver anatomy. In many cases, there will be pre-requisites of: General Biology I, Human Anatomy & Physiology I, and Human Anatomy & Physiology II *Undergrad*. However, the decision is left up to the school what pre-reqs are required. Make some phone calls, check around. :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you're looking for cadaver lab experiences, Wright State University has a Cadave Anatomy Procedure program every year. I haven't had a chance to go to it, but one of the docs regularly posts over at EMTCity and everyone from there that's gone to it has loved it.

http://www.med.wright.edu/em/CAPLab/index.html