Commuting over a time zone?

Jane

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone commute over a time zone? How do you deal with the time difference and not being late for work?

I recently applied for a position that is in another time zone. It's not the idea situation, but I'm desperate to get out in the field and get some experience. It's a 2 hour driving commute in which I'll gain an hour going to work and lose an hour going home. I absolutely LOATHE being late to things, especially work, so this makes me extremely nervous just thinking about trying to handle the time difference. My classmates teased me because I would be an hour (at LEAST) early to class, clinicals, etc.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I used to do it, ad the last hour of a six hour commute was in central, and i lived in mountain time zones... the easiest way to do it is to just leave an hour earlier than you would normally. Problem solved.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
I don't commute to a different time zone but I hate being late for things and do some traveling for work.. Could you set additional alarms on your phone or watch to make sure you are on the road in time? I set a "you better be out the door" alarm sometimes when I am going a far distance or when it's to something extra important. C

I travel for work currently but all within the same time zone. When I'm traveling to a particular far location I always adjust my alarms and give myself extra time. Even if I'm an hour early, I don't care. I'll grab some coffee or just sit and relax. Being late, in my opinion, is not acceptable. I don't allow my employees to be late and I set that example by never being late myself.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
"Traffic was a nightmare..." (and I left later than what I told you) is often the case. Fry...I LIKE YOU! :)

I do not tolerate excuses, drives me nuts. There simply is none. Just poor time management and self regulation. I always get there early like you and I will then do something productive such as read, people watch while kicking around my deep thoughts, or just simply woo sah.