Command

yay4stress

Forum Crew Member
I figured the ALS people out there would know this if anyone.

What is "medic command"? There has been talk of this lately in my area, specifically about it being revoked, and I'm wondering what it it?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I've heard of medical control, but not medical command (unless it is part of ICS/NIMS)

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
I dont know alot about it but Pennsylvania has it.

OP
OP
Y

yay4stress

Forum Crew Member
I'm in pennsylvania, and its not part of NIMS. What I know is this:
Paramedics attain it at the time of certification, but it can be revokde seperately. As to what it does or is, I know not. Any medics from PA in here?

mdtaylor

Forum Crew Member
In PA, apparently EMT-Paramedics are certified for life. But, instead of having to re-certify periodically, medics must have "Medical Command Authorization" from their medical director of each organization for which they are affiliated. and only have minimal continuing ed requirements.

I got this from an unofficial source:

EMT Paramedic/Prehospital Registered Nurse

After initial certification as an EMTP or PHRN, you are considered to be permanently certified. However, to practice in the field as an EMTP or a PHRN, you must have medical command authorization as granted by the ALS service medical director of each ALS ambulance service with which you are affiliated. To be eligible to receive medical command authorization, you must fulfill the following con ed requirements:

* attend 18 hours of con ed during a calendar year, as provided by an approved con ed sponsor. An ALS provider may receive credit for functioning as an instructor. Up to a maximum of 6 hours may be awarded for conducting BLS courses.
* complete con ed paperwork
* attend a CPR course for adult, infant and child, every 2 years, sponsored by the American Heart Association or American Red Cross or any other CPR program as approved by PA DOH

Does that help?