College Student Looking for Career Advice...(EMT-P vs. RN)

8jimi8

CFRN
I think there is one essential variable missing from your equation, the individual. It seems your assumptions are that an EMT learns just enough to pass test and to just get by with what the curriculum has to offer. There are individuals like that to be sure and they are content with status quo. The above example would prove your assertion, however, there is another type of individual to consider; the one who strives for excellence. To go beyond the textbook, classroom, and to supplement their skill set with additional reading. Many continue on with academic progress in pursuit of betterment. Your perceptions seem to be somewhat narrow in scope as there is a bigger picture.

Peace :)

Seems like Vene explained that the scope expands as you progress...

Veneficus

Forum Chief
there is another type of individual to consider; the one who strives for excellence. To go beyond the textbook, classroom, and to supplement their skill set with additional reading. Many continue on with academic progress in pursuit of betterment. Your perceptions seem to be somewhat narrow in scope as there is a bigger picture.

Undoubtly there are highly motivated individuals. The information they get going above and beyond I would agree helps. But you don't need an EMT class to read books beyond EMT.

The information presented as it is in the basic EMT class is too oversimplified to be of benefit in an advancing career. In an adult learner who has to be "convinced" of new information in stead of absorbing it as is, it can create an extra hurdle.

If above and beyond is your goal, take some other college classes. They will be more indepth and you will get more out of them.

I know people talk about skills like assessment not being taught in those classes, but I give you my word, you can learn more about assessment in pathology class than in EMT class.

Physiology will allow you to see when something is wrong, but it is not as useful for assessment as patho is in my opinion.

Best of all, those classes will actually help you complete coursework towards other health care professions. Unless paramedic is your goal, there are much better options for your goal than EMT.

18G

Paramedic
Based on a decade and a half of going to nursing homes.... an EMT-B course would serve RN's VERY well. They are so clueless when it comes to acute issues with their patients. Nursing home RN's that is.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
I'd go RN, and if the interest is still there you can always challenge -P or bridge over and do both.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Based on a decade and a half of going to nursing homes.... an EMT-B course would serve RN's VERY well. They are so clueless when it comes to acute issues with their patients. Nursing home RN's that is.

I am curious what it would do for them?

I agree nursing homes are absolutely abysmal when it comes to any kind of care, but they are like that around the world in my experience, and until there is an alternative to them, it is basically like sending people to a dungeon where they are tortured to death.

18G

Paramedic
For one, it would expose them to the 911 system and EMS and give them an understanding of when to call EMS and transfer patients out instead of waiting to call 911 after a patient has been in CHF, experiencing chest pain, or has been altered for the past 4 hours.

And it would teach them not to flow 6lpm of O2 with a NRB mask.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
For one, it would expose them to the 911 system and EMS and give them an understanding of when to call EMS and transfer patients out instead of waiting to call 911 after a patient has been in CHF, experiencing chest pain, or has been altered for the past 4 hours.

And it would teach them not to flow 6lpm of O2 with a NRB mask.

Do you really think it would change anything?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It's worth a try.... lol.

You cannot teach people who already think they know it all.

I've tried. Waste of time.

AustinNative

Forum Crew Member
8jimi8, I am not sure where you get the no-wait list. I am a current student in ACC at the moment, and my class-mates who are RN path have ALL had to wait at least one year to get in the program. Austin Community College has an outstanding Paramedic and Nursing program, so whichever you chose will be a great education.

8jimi8

CFRN
8jimi8, I am not sure where you get the no-wait list. I am a current student in ACC at the moment, and my class-mates who are RN path have ALL had to wait at least one year to get in the program. Austin Community College has an outstanding Paramedic and Nursing program, so whichever you chose will be a great education.

Sorry I guess that was a year ago. When I applied I got in on the first try, no wait. The two classes after me had no wait list period. I guess things have changed while I've been working.