College EMS Legality

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
Hey all,

I'm looking into starting a college EMS here at the college I go to now. This might be a completely stupid question, but I was wondering why a service has to be registered and have a medical director etc?

I ask this because I currently work as medical standby for sports games and I'm a volunteer, my employers and I basically worked out that I can be providing care up to my level of training (Good Samaritan law in Minnesota allows this) and since I'm not getting compensation of any kind, I will be protected.

I was wondering why this could not be extended a little further for an EMS system, in that now we have a group of people who are acting as good samaritans?

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying this, please bear my ignorance!

If anyone has any experience with starting an EMS system, I would love to hear about how you did it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
(Good Samaritan law in Minnesota allows this) and since I'm not getting compensation of any kind, I will be protected.

Hmm, not so sure about this.

OP
OP
IvanD

IvanD

Forum Crew Member
Please do correct me if I'm reading this wrong but I am under the impression that I am protected as I am not receiving any compensation of any kind.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=604A.01

General immunity from liability. (a) A person who, without compensation or the expectation of compensation, renders emergency care, advice, or assistance at the scene of an emergency or during transit to a location where professional medical care can be rendered, is not liable for any civil damages as a result of acts or omissions by that person in rendering the emergency care, advice, or assistance, unless the person acts in a willful and wanton or reckless manner in providing the care, advice, or assistance.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Please do correct me if I'm reading this wrong but I am under the impression that I am protected as I am not receiving any compensation of any kind.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=604A.01

If you are working in the capacity as a first responder, paid or not, your under a different set of rules. Only a lawyer could tell you whats up. Just be careful.

rennex

Forum Crew Member
I would think you are covered from what you quoted plus this
(c) For the purposes of this section, "person" includes a public or private nonprofit volunteer firefighter, volunteer police officer, volunteer ambulance attendant, volunteer first provider of emergency medical services, volunteer ski patroller, and any partnership, corporation, association, or other entity.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Yes, a college EMS service DOES need to be official, and should have a medical director. For more information and advice, I strongly recommend you shift over to ncemsf.org, the National Collegiate EMS Foundation forums... they have great startup resources and volunteers in place to help you figure out what you need and how to set it up.

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
Hey all,

I'm looking into starting a college EMS here at the college I go to now. This might be a completely stupid question, but I was wondering why a service has to be registered and have a medical director etc?

I ask this because I currently work as medical standby for sports games and I'm a volunteer, my employers and I basically worked out that I can be providing care up to my level of training (Good Samaritan law in Minnesota allows this) and since I'm not getting compensation of any kind, I will be protected.

I was wondering why this could not be extended a little further for an EMS system, in that now we have a group of people who are acting as good samaritans?

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying this, please bear my ignorance!

If anyone has any experience with starting an EMS system, I would love to hear about how you did it.

Having worked in Collegiate EMS myself, I second Dan's recommendation and think it would be best to contact NCEMSF (National Collegiate EMS Foundation). They have a plethora of resources and should be able to put you in touch with other college agencies in your area who are familiar with local requirements/regulations.

www.ncemsf.org or e-mail startup@ncemsf.org

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Hmm, not so sure about this.

Also, Good Sammy laws don't protect you from Negligence. Malfeasance/nonfeasance and doing anything that a "normal person" (i.e. basic first aid) couldn't do could get you in big trouble.

Doing anything more than first aid without having a medical director is a big no no here.

Are you in America? That's okay, I hear people are very reasonable and hardly ever sue each other. :p

DavidM

Forum Probie
As a current college student who is involved both in my college's EMS service as well as the local service I can say that setting up a college service is A LOT of work and may not be that effective. Its costs a ton of money and will require working through a ton of red tape between your health center, DoH, local law enforcement agency, and campus law enforcement/safety. That being said a college ems program is a really special thing that can make a difference in the lives of those students that decide to participate.

You really need to think about why you want to setup a service at your school. If you're looking to get experience its probably a better idea to volunteer with a service near school.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
You really need to think about why you want to setup a service at your school. If you're looking to get experience its probably a better idea to volunteer with a service near school.

This is very good advice.