Cna

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys, As some of you may now Im going into my Senior year of highschool (shock shock) I signed up for the Certified Nurses Assistant course, which really interested me, MY grandfather has had 2 strokes and major heart surgery, right now he is pretty much living in the past. I had driven to Mass. To take care of him (he lives with my aunt) while she went out.

I did have to brush his teeth, move him from toilet to bed (wheel chair), Change his clothes and everything, he really cant do much on his own.

How ever, before this I was thinking about the CNA training and working while im in highschool as a CNA and when I get out. I have done research on CNAs and what they do.

But helping out my grandfather really did make me realize what it was about, it was a little "stomach wrenching" I mean it is my grandfather but it really did interest me. I borrowed some CNA books and what not and read them, but still dont full understand what they do. The books and research did clear it up but I came to ask does anyone here have any experience as a CNA? If so could you tell me what thier "job" is?

Sorry post is so long. Just given ya the whole picture ;)

disassociative

Forum Captain
Well, once upon a time before nursing school, paramedic, first responder, emt-iv, and all that jive, I was a CNA. My duties included turning the patients, doing dry rounds(changing them when they have soiled themselves), answering call lights for various things(get me a glass of water, etc). Giving the patient their trays and helping them eat, if needed. Ambulating the patient, and tending to the activities of daily living.

OP
OP
Topher38

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
Is there anything related to assissting (<--spelt wroung?) a RN in any type of interventions (IVs or what not) I do realize they dont really "treat" people, but are they taught to assisst (<--spelt wroung?) with RN practices?

I think I keep spelling assisst wroung. Im pretty sure I am :mellow:

disassociative

Forum Captain
CNA's are not licensed providers. They cannot administer medications, pass medications, or perform any invasive procedures(catheterization, Iv therapy, etc.) Assisting in IV therapy is a job role of the LPN or another "Licensed" provider.

You will simply be assisting the patient in the activities of daily living while following the nursing care plan within your scope.

You will also not have the ability to administer O2 as it is classified as a drug.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Topher38

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
You will simply be assisting the patient in the activities of daily living while following the nursing care plan within your scope.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. "Assisting" I new I had been spelling it wrong some how.

Thanks again.

disassociative

Forum Captain
Why don't you just go to LPN school, and save yourself the trouble?

OP
OP
Topher38

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
I do plan on going to school for nursing. Right now I figured I want to get aa educated as I can about the pathway. Ive taken Multiple Medical terminology classes, first aid, EMT, only medical class I havent taken in my school is CNA, And from what I have heard it really is a difficult course (of course thats an individual opinion from others) It envolves what I like to learn about, I also get alot of clinical time working while im in highschool and get paid as well, But I definetly am looking toward a nursing college/school.

Do you recommend any Connecticut? Or any that you are aware of? Ill do some research as well, but I like hearing an experienced person's opinion.

reaper

Working Bum
CNA's in FL can "pass" meds. If they are at an ALH, then they can pass meds. They cannot alter meds (ie: crush pills), but do pass meds to pt's daily, for the pt to take.

Many medics work as CNA's as second jobs. They get paid better as a CNA!!!

disassociative

Forum Captain
Well, there is a controversy over Med Techs, one that would rival the should EMT's intubate issue.

Around here CNA is just a 2 wk thing.

OP
OP
Topher38

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
For the school program its a 6 month course, 2.5 months of class work, 3.5 months of clinical working (with pay) at a nursing home.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The CNA is an excellent way to get introduced to the world of nursing and get some assessment skills as well as see many different disease processes. You will also have the opportunity to observe other healthcare professionals and possibly find some excellent RNs to offer some mentoring. There are also numerous opportunities for CNAs to have their education paid for if they do decide to become RNs later.

The length of the CNA education varies in most states starting with the basic 2 week or 80 hours. The rest will be dependent on the type of facility you will work at and their additional training. Sub-acutes and hospitals may require additional training because you will be working with patients who have trachs, ventilators, feeding tubes and various other lines that you will have to exercise caution when caring for these patients. The CNAs at one subacute I was moonlighting at definitely got a good start with their nursing education on the basics of various airways, disease processes and ventilation by asking questions to the RNs and RRTs. There are also opportunities in mental health facilities and a good chance of getting hired as an ER Technician. Many hospitals like their ER technicians to have the CNA cert since that is what most hospitals recognize. A prehospital certification may help to get the job but it may not be the certification that your job title will recognize for scope of practice. These hospitals will also usually provide additional training for phlebotomy and EKG. Telemetry Technician is another opportunity for a CNA to expand his/her skills while pursuing a nursing degree. Some states also have the certification of Patient Care Technician which is a CNA with additional skills.

Too many people do enter professions without having any idea what the profession is truly about as far as working conditions. Too often people put up money and then end up dropping out when they get into clinicals. Even Paramedics have a difficult time in RN school because they had a preconceived idea about what a nurse is or that it would be an easy route for them since they were Paramedics. Some of these Paramedics that do finish the RN program may never work as a nurse. Although, they undoubtedly did learn some things from the additional education and clinical experience so it was not a waste of time.

In EMS, the EMT-B is not given very much exposure to the profession itself until they are hired. The "exciting" TV ads may have attacted them to the training. Once working they then find out that the patient care aspects of the job may not be for them. They may like the rescue and extrication but have no people skills to deal with patients, families and other health care professionals. Thus, we end up with frustrated providers that fall into the grunt and slouch category destined to burnout early or make any medically enthusiastic partner miserable.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I have about 15 friends enrolled in a CNA class right now. They are all high school juniors or seniors. We're all in this "med prep" class... most people in it choose to get their CNA through the program, I chose to get my EMT. However, I'm around during their class pretty often so I see what they do and play patient for them.

Most of them hate it. It's all pretty boring stuff: transferring patients, making beds, cleaning genitals, oral care. However, having your CNA will be very advantageous when you start applying to nursing programs. I've even heard that some programs are requiring that you have your CNA. As one of my teachers (a BSN for over 20 yrs) put it... "the nursing schools are sick of having to teach students how to do the basics like how to make a bed and clean a patient."

So... don't expect to learn much of anything medical. It's pretty much all ADL (activities of daily living) stuff. From what I've seen, it's not the most interesting class. However, this stuff is crucial and you will learn and have to do it if you're looking at a career in nursing.

disassociative

Forum Captain
Even Paramedics have a difficult time in RN school because they had a preconceived idea about what a nurse is or that it would be an easy route for them since they were Paramedics.

Lol. You got that one right Vent.

You are correct as well, LucidResq. Just because you have an RN, this does not exempt you from doing the basics, making a bed properly, cleaning a patient, changing them when needed. Assuming that an RN does not do these things is like assuming that just because someone has a Paramedic license, they will no longer worry about BLS.

The basics, my friend are your foundation. In most cases, the basics(your foundation) will save your butt.

I would further encourage Topher, to check out Lab Assistant II, also known as "Phlebotomist", this position does not require phlebotomy license; most hospitals just require it to "top out" on the pay scale for the position. You will get GREAT, and I MEAN GREAT exposure to your various lab tests, proper collection methods, etc.(CBC, BMP, CMP, Phos, Mag, Amy, Sedrate, Pt.Inr, Ptt), and you will also get to experience the wonderful world of MediTech(lol).

Not to mention, after a specific period of time(determined by the hospital, etc); they will allow you to write the phlebotomy certification exam.