CNA/Phlebotomy?

September

Forum Probie
Hey guys, I'm about to get my EMT soon. I want to tech in an ER too and would grabbing a cert in CNA or Phlebotomy increase my chances of being hired at hospitals and once hired would I get paid more than the starting wage? Has anyone been through this?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It depends on what the hospital wants. I worked a phlebotomist during paramedic school for a little extra cash. The EDs in Washington wanted EMTs or Medics with experience, and it was very much a "who you know" type of thing. The phlebotomy at the ED was taught in house. No extra pay for any extra stuff.

Mainspring

Forum Crew Member
I don't think CNA certification is going to help since most ER require EMT certification these days.

In the old days CNAs were considered, if hired extra training(splinting/dressing/ect) were conducted.

Phlebotomy can't hurt as it's extra skill set but most of the time not required.

Most EDs want EMTs with 6 months to 1 year experience.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Talk directly to your prospective employers. It will establish you in their minds (good or bad) and direct you better.

Many people in EMTLIFE are looking for a backdoor into doing emergency care for a living. There really aren't any.

OP
OP
S

September

Forum Probie
Did some time in the ER today. The nurse I was shadowing told me that the hospital send their techs to a phlebotomy class. She also told me that they need some extra people and would love to have me there because I'm so helpful and eager to learn. She had a quick chat with the nursing manager(who has connections with HR), and I've got an in as soon as I'm certified. Wow, it really is who you know. That settles that!

Mainspring

Forum Crew Member
that's awesome. congrats!

are they sending you to get a full phlebotomy license or limited?

if it's a teaching hospital take advantage of all the classes they offer.

anyway, congrats again.

Last edited by a moderator:

hogwiley

Forum Captain
Phlebotomy might be a good class to take IF you get certified. That way you have something to fall back on if you hurt your back or shoulder as a Paramedic.

As for CNA, it would probably make you a more well rounded EMT/Paramedic, but wouldn't really help that much for Paramedic school aside from maybe impress the Nurses a little when you do your ICU rotations and are actually somewhat useful to them. As for working as a CNA, I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy, its ten times harder than being an EMT.

topemttraining

Forum Probie
Hey guys, I'm about to get my EMT soon. I want to tech in an ER too and would grabbing a cert in CNA or Phlebotomy increase my chances of being hired at hospitals and once hired would I get paid more than the starting wage? Has anyone been through this?

Additional certification can be one of the options for better wage and job, but you will have to consider other factors also such as working place, experience, location, government and private hospitals, and state because these issue also have a say in job opportunities and better salary.:rolleyes:

"If I can make a teacher's salary doing comedy, I think that's better than being a teacher".
Dave Chappelle