Clinical ride cardiac arrest

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Define unlikely. Then define whether the potential benefit might be outweighed by the potential risk. Many cardiac arrests we work have less than 1% chance of survival. Should we not treat them? Is that the philosophy that I'm hearing in these threads?

Yes, it is. If the cardiac arrests you are working have a collective 1% survival rate you are picking the wrong codes to work.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
VF/VT from medical cause have a much higher rate, the worst reported numbers in the US I have seen is 9%.

asystole/pea arrests are no longer counted. With the exception of a few immediately identifyable and reversible causes or already in a healthcare facility with a known cause, these people are for all intents and purposes, dead. We should not waste resources trying to resuscitate them.

In the hospital it is extremely rare to see a true asystole/PEA arrest. I can remember 3 in the past year compared to ~30 V tach/Fib arrests.

1. Asystole arrest was s/p ablation....didn't make it.
2. PEA was s/p CABG and tamponded, opened the chest @ bedside with internal cardiac massage... Didn't make it.
3. PEA was a Saddle PE that was lsyed and resuscitated

In hospital cardiac arrest data
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19770741

TomB

Forum Captain
Asystole/PEA arrest is very common in the in-hospital setting compared to primary VF/VT arrest. I saw it many times when I worked in the hospital on a stepdown unit and the link you provided indicates that asystole/PEA is the first pulseless rhythm 76% of the time.

Tom

In the hospital it is extremely rare to see a true asystole/PEA arrest. I can remember 3 in the past year compared to ~30 V tach/Fib arrests.

1. Asystole arrest was s/p ablation....didn't make it.
2. PEA was s/p CABG and tamponded, opened the chest @ bedside with internal cardiac massage... Didn't make it.
3. PEA was a Saddle PE that was lsyed and resuscitated

In hospital cardiac arrest data
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19770741

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Asystole/PEA arrest is very common in the in-hospital setting compared to primary VF/VT arrest. I saw it many times when I worked in the hospital on a stepdown unit and the link you provided indicates that asystole/PEA is the first pulseless rhythm 76% of the time.

Tom

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I just assumed based off my own personal experience. I stand corrected