Clinical Hours??

EMS166

Forum Probie
I am currently in a Paramedic Program and going through clinicals... we need about 500 clincal hours to graduate- I know this is pretty standard, but my question is how many months did it they give you to complete them? Or how many hours a week you had to do to be able to complete them in time?

Thanks in advance

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
My program is a year long, I had to complete 600 hrs to graduate. We had the whole year to complete them. If you do one 12 hour clinical a week you will be finished about a month or so before I graduate.

OP
OP
E

EMS166

Forum Probie
thats nice... our programed goofed around and didnt allow us to start clinicals untill 5 months into the program, part because they said we needed skills before we could start, part because they couldnt get there end together... but in the end we are now stuck doing 20hrs a week clinical (on top of class time) ... Its kinda frustrating, and Im just wondering if other programs are like this

thenextebell2

Forum Probie
My program divides classroom, clinical, and internship. Can't start one before finishing the other. I believe minimum required clinical (hospital rotation) hours is 150-300

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
My program was also broken into 3 parts. First classroom, then clinical, then internship. It took me around 3 months going around 40 hours per week to finish the clinical part. It can be competitive also and sometimes hard to get spots.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
My program was also broken into 3 parts. First classroom, then clinical, then internship. It took me around 3 months going around 40 hours per week to finish the clinical part. It can be competitive also and sometimes hard to get spots.

Mine's about the same as above minus the difficulty getting spots. My program gets first pick before the other program and the area and then they get to pick through our scraps ;)

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
We started clinicals 4 weeks into the year long course. At the beginning all we were suppose to do was bls stuff but a lot of the facilities would have you try iv's and blood draws before we went over it in class. I have had a very positive clinical experience.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
We started clinicals a few weeks into our 3 semester program. We were required to finish them within 3 months of finishing the program. I managed to get all of mine done 2 months before finishing.

We also had a summer semester that was exclusively clinicals.

I managed to get all of mine done while still working 30hrs/week.

I don't remember the exact amount of ride time/hospital time required, but we had to maintain good marks with our instructors or we would be required to pick up more shifts.