Cleveland EMS will reject some calls on minor ailments

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
Oh I would like to add most of this is with the company that is not FL hospital. All the transports for FL Hospital are usually paid by FL hospital and rarely use medicare.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I question how much effect this will really have. Some of the investigative reports have discussed that folks with minor complaints have "gotten smart" and will complain of chest pain or SOB when calling 911 to get a faster response.

How long until the callbacks turn into "Are you having chest pain? No? OK... gonna be a while for an ambulance"... Oh... wait... you just started having chest pain? An ambulance will be there soon after all.

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
I have mixed emotions about this. How is a dispatcher supposed to know what is life threatening or not? Take the headache for example. My wife is now blind in one eye, and lost half her sight in the other because the...Dr's diagnosed her with migraines after five minutes and no diagnostics. I took her in there 5 times in 2 weeks, and it wasn't until I lost my temper and and almost decked a cop that they agreed to do something. When they finally did the MRI they realized, "Well damn, maybe the stupid Paramedic Student knows something about A&P".

I see the point they are getting at, I do. Too many medics get tied up with non emergency calls to respond to the more pressing ones, I get that, but how does a dispatcher know the difference?

For example; I was dispatched to a call of a car vs. kid on a bike in the middle of no where in NM. I ran L/S all the way there, as I was the first projected unit to arrive on scene. I get there only to find a women who slightly overshot a turn and was now stuck in a ditch. After searching and searching, and the State Police confirming these were the coordinance, I pulled her out and we went on our way. I am not bad mouthing a dispatcher, but it happens. All I am saying is all too often a calls comes across as one thing, but when we arrive it is something totally and completely different.

I sincerely hope it works.