City ponders extra $6.5 million paid for paramedics over basic EMTs

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
City ponders extra $6.5 million paid for paramedics over basic EMTs

For some, a bee sting can escalate from scary to fatal in matter of minutes.

That's why Columbus paramedics are trained to recognize and treat anaphylactic shock.

But a recommendation that the city compare the costs and quality of advanced life support (what paramedics provide) and basic life support (what firefighters provide) could change everything.

Read more!

trevor1189

Forum Captain
I like how it is setup around here. We have BLS and ALS rigs. BLS is usually dispatched from the fire depts closest to the call and there are several ALS rigs positioned at certain depts which respond a few minutes behind the BLS rigs if ALS might be needed. Also, BLS can always upgrade the call and request a medic to come. Seems to work well. Not everyone needs ALS, but it is definitely nice to know they are only a few minutes away if needed.

SauceyEMT

Forum Crew Member
In my area, Southeastern Massachusetts, there are several agencies both public and private that have trucks staffed with one medic and one basic. If the call requires ALS, it's there, if it only requires BLS, thats there too.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not everyone needs ALS, but it is definitely nice to know they are only a few minutes away if needed.

Really? Last time I checked those BLS patients are still going to see a physician at the hospital. (Side question, can NPs and PAs do the EMTALA mandated screening exam?)

Sasha

Forum Chief
I like how it is setup around here. We have BLS and ALS rigs. BLS is usually dispatched from the fire depts closest to the call and there are several ALS rigs positioned at certain depts which respond a few minutes behind the BLS rigs if ALS might be needed

You could cut out the need for two trucks responding by putting a medic on every truck. Not everyone needs ALS, but everyone deserves an ALS assesment. Many basics can't recognize the need for ALS, as patients who need it don't always present gasping for air or clutching their chest. They could present with stomach discomfort, arm pain, swollen legs or light headedness or headaches or many other symptoms that could be nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Really? Last time I checked those BLS patients are still going to see a physician at the hospital. (Side question, can NPs and PAs do the EMTALA mandated screening exam?)
Yes they are going to see a physician. But that doesn't need they need a medic to transport them.
You could cut out the need for two trucks responding by putting a medic on every truck. Not everyone needs ALS, but everyone deserves an ALS assesment. Many basics can't recognize the need for ALS, as patients who need it don't always present gasping for air or clutching their chest. They could present with stomach discomfort, arm pain, swollen legs or light headedness or headaches or many other symptoms that could be nothing.
Again in a perfect world every agency would be able to do that. But that's not the case. Heck, why not just get rid of paramedics and emts all together and staff ambulances with doctors since that is what they really need. It's not cost effective. With limited medics they are reserved for calls that need them. Also if BLS is on scene and has any hunch they need ALS a paramedic "chaser car" can meet them on scene or enroute within minutes.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yes they are going to see a physician. But that doesn't need they need a medic to transport them.

So the government doesn't trust decisions over the stability of a patient to anyone lower than a physician, but should trust essentially the same decision to people with 110 hours of first aid training?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I think every ambulance should have at least 1 medic on it to even be considered an ambulance. A BLS truck is a first aid vehicle, nothing more

Sasha

Forum Chief
It's not cost effective.

But sending out two trucks is cost effective?

Short supply of paramedics? Heck, advertise the openings in Florida. There are tons of paramedics sitting on the butt twiddling their thumbs waiting on call backs from R/m and EVAC.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
MICU--- answer to everyones demands (Not really but I like the abbreviation)

Sasha

Forum Chief

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
But sending out two trucks is cost effective?

Short supply of paramedics? Heck, advertise the openings in Florida. There are tons of paramedics sitting on the butt twiddling their thumbs waiting on call backs from R/m and EVAC.

Not every call gets 2 trucks.
Stubbed toe, ETOH, assault, sick person, are BLS calls.
CP, SOB, unk. medical emergency, diabetic, etc, are ALS calls.
Your BLS call volume will outnumber the ALS call volume. As a consequence, you will need more BLS then ALS trucks.

Minimum daily staffing here in Atlantic City is 3 BLS, 1 MICU, and 1 MICU/SCT, however, that can be sent on SCT/CCT jobs.
Overall, we have 3 MICU/SCT and 4 MICUs for the entire county.
As for BLS ambulances........ is alot a number?

And as for Florida "Medics", you know as well as I do they are taught to pass the medic exam.
Very few "schools" teach in depth.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Your BLS call volume will outnumber the ALS call volume. As a consequence, you will need more BLS then ALS trucks.

Minimum daily staffing here in Atlantic City is 3 BLS, 1 MICU, and 1 MICU/SCT, however, that can be sent on SCT/CCT jobs.

And as for Florida "Medics", you know as well as I do they are taught to pass the medic exam.
Very few "schools" teach in depth.

Even so, they're jobless and would leap at the opprotunity to work, even if it meant moving away. You know as well as I do that everyone deserves an ALS assesment, and the best and most effective way to do this is to put a paramedic on every truck.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Even so, they're jobless and would leap at the opprotunity to work, even if it meant moving away. You know as well as I do that everyone deserves an ALS assesment, and the best and most effective way to do this is to put a paramedic on every truck.

What if the service in question can't afford to staff EMTs 24/7, let alone paramedics?

And just so you know, I agree with you. In a perfect world, there would be no need for EMT-Bs and everybody would be at the paramedic level. But sadly, this isn't a perfect world. It's a ball of suck. Suck-coated suck with suck filling.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's a big suck-coated suck in large part because we accept the suckage. Instead of fighting for change, we simple stand up and beg, "Please sir, may we have some more."

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
It's a big suck-coated suck in large part because we accept the suckage. Instead of fighting for change, we simple stand up and beg, "Please sir, may we have some more."

I fought for change and it got me sent to the unemployment line. Sorry, but food in my belly and a roof over my head is more important to me. If only somebody with power would fight for change, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

reaper

Working Bum

Very few "schools" teach in depth

Those very few schools are some of the best around!