Chest Trauma

CobraIV

Forum Crew Member
Fresh new rookie emt-b, I want to learn but don't want to sound like an idiot asking too many questions. I'm just like that.......

In the simple way possible (if there is) can someone please explain to me blood & air in the pleural cavity? I get the hemothorax & pneumothorax mixed up.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Fresh new rookie emt-b, I want to learn but don't want to sound like an idiot asking too many questions. I'm just like that.......

In the simple way possible (if there is) can someone please explain to me blood & air in the pleural cavity? I get the hemothorax & pneumothorax mixed up.

Hemo=blood
Pneu=air
Hemo/pneu=blood and air

OP
OP
CobraIV

CobraIV

Forum Crew Member
Thanks that should be easy to remember

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Thats the easiest way I can remember it.

StickySideDown

Forum Crew Member
To the Post above mine + 1.

Most words in medicine can be broken down and that's exactly what you have to do.

Hemo - Blood as in Hemmorhage

Hypo - Low
Hyper - High
Angio - Pertaining to blood vessel
Necro - Death
Intra - Within
Mono - One
Bi - Twice
Di - Two
Neo - New

The list goes on for miles...

shockinainteasy75

Forum Probie
I came from a mechanic background so when I think pneumo I think pneumatic tools which run off of air. Then hema like hemaglobin. That's my funky way

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Tension

Tension=trauma (as in Tension hemo pneumo thorax).

You can get a hemo pneumo without trauma; we had a lady that had 5 in 13 months, and they were stumped of why and what was causing them. She asked in the ED if they could leave the chest tube in and just clamp it off.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Spontaneous haemo/haemo-pneumothorax

Some others will have a better explanation, but basically the pt has "blebs" (weak spots) in the structure of the lung and/or the vasculature, allowing them to develop the situation with little warning; sometimes fast, sometimes slow. I saw about three cases that I knew of. and one went to the ER (appropriately) twice during a six-month incarceration.