Checking eyes with an LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes there are LED's that emit UV light but they are specifically designed for that purpose. Your link does not show that standard LED's emit UV light and I doubt that you will find a link that shows they do. I find it hard to believe that you get something to fluoresce from a standard LED, but who am I to argue.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I picked up a little metal Rayovac LED penlight from walmart. Works pretty well to light up things and the check pupils. Was only like $2

Sasha

Forum Chief
I keep some kind of flashlight in my bag for various reasons, last night neither my partner or I couldn't find our penlights and I used the flashlight to check pupils. Regular penlights are ideal but not absolutely necessarry.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I use the Streamlight Stylus

http://www.streamlight.com/documents/fact-sheet/120.pdf

I think I was about $10 or so. I like mainly because it slips into my shoulder pocket next to my pen, and has a tailcap switch. Its also bright enough to illuminate all sorts of other things.

I know that someday I'll lose it. But with it only costing 10 bucks i'm ok with that.

Sorry to dig up an older thread, but I came here tonight expressly for the purpose of enquiring about the Streamlight Stylus, and whether it was too bright or just right for diagnostic purposes (checking pupil response).

The light I have now is a Streamlight Microstream, rated at 20 lumens. It's too bright for a diagnostic penlight. The Stylus is rated at 10 lumens. But in its reviews at Galls, one person says it's bright enough to clear a room if the main light fails, another person says it's bright enough to blind a suspect if he becomes combative (this guy uses it in field sobriety tests to have the suspect follow the light sideways, looking for jerking motion of the eyes). Out of all the reviews at Galls, I believe one person said they've used it for EMS patient assessment, but even that person said it was a bright light.

Apparently, at least one person here feels it is acceptable for EMS. Now, in this thread, a lot of people have mentioned using LED lights, and some have mentioned using general-purpose LED flashlights vs. using actual medical LED lights, but until this mention of the Streamlight Stylus, I don't think I noticed any brands or model names mentioned for specific-purpose lights. So I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with the Streamlight Stylus, specifically whether it is too bright or just right for EMS diagnostic use, or what other brands/models are worth considering?

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
[berevity] ...or what other brands/models are worth considering?

I carry a 4sevens Preon 1 with me now. Comes on at 1.8 lumens, but can go up to 80 lumens if you need it. Works very well for checking reactivity, none too bright, and very handy for making sure I have everything in my backpack after EOW.

EDIT: I also added the clicky tailcap for $11, well worth it

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTventually

Forum Ride Along
I'm a budding flashaholic, which is why this topic came up.

One of my friends (whom does not work in the medical field) also brought up the issue of color retention of an incan vs. an LED. I think I'm just sticking with an incan, for now.
im a bit of one too, lol. im pretty much all OLight, mostly bc of quality, but definitely bc they have some unique color ways and styles too. M2R Warrior on my belt, and I have a Baton 1 that I keep with me bc its smaller and I can attatch it to my hat and use it as a headlamp if needed. thats come sooooooo in handy lol.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
im a bit of one too, lol. im pretty much all OLight, mostly bc of quality, but definitely bc they have some unique color ways and styles too. M2R Warrior on my belt, and I have a Baton 1 that I keep with me bc its smaller and I can attatch it to my hat and use it as a headlamp if needed. thats come sooooooo in handy lol.

And todays thread CPR award goes too......

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Closed for necroposting.

Status
Not open for further replies.