Charleston County EMS

CloudofBlack90

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys looking for some info/advice.

In the next year or so I plan on moving closer to coast, I'm in Columbia SC right now. I thinking Charleston County EMS right now, but I'm open to other counties. I've looked on there website and saw that they have a written test and even scenarios for you before they interview you.

As of right now I'm an EMT, but plan on going to medic school before I make my move.

So anyone have any clue as to what kind of scenarios/what the interview is like? I like to plan/prep ahead of time.

Also any info on the county itself. Ie benefits, salary, management, employees...etc..

Thanks

Daiawa

Forum Probie
As far as Charleston County is concerned...(we are currently hiring)

-Are fire and EMS separate systems? ( meaning can you just be a paramedic and not a firefighter)
Yes, we are a county based service, working with 14~ Fire departments
-Is EMS city employed or is it strictly private ambulance contracted to run 911?
County employed with state benefits
-What is the starting pay rang for Paramedics, more importantly, is it a livable wage for the area?
Base medic is $17.33 (41k~), crew chief bump is 18% with 3% raises at 1,3,5,7 years and merit based raises after. Livable, especially if you choose to live in one of the neighboring areas.
-Whats the call volume like?
Depends on the day/assignment. Could be 12 calls in 12 hours or none, average I would say is 6. Transport times can range from 1 hour to literally 1 minute.
- Do you enjoy the area?
Charleston speaks for itself, its especially good if you enjoy the water.
-Whats the hiring process like?
Written test, followed by peer interview.
-What are the shifts like? (12 hours? rotating? ect)
2 on 2 off, every other weekend is a 3 day either on or off. Pay week is based F-F
- Are you allowed to sit at a station till you get a call or do the assign you an area to post?
We are modified SSM, the majority of our posts are at stations, however street corners are also utilized. That being said crew comfort is taken into consideration, such as posts at full service gas stations or places with nearby food options. I will say however, its not a place for someone who expects to come sit and relax. If a "slow" truck catches a call, another truck is sent to fill their station. So the "slow" truck may be busy the entire shift. That being said, around 2 hours before shift change, an honest effort is made to get said trucks back to their respective stations.
- Do have your protocols online?
I do not believe so. We have a new medical director who is progressive, and open to ideas. We have RSI, Ketamine, etc, all on standing orders. PM me if you have other questions.
- Requirements for hiring?
View our job listings, even if you don't have the "required" experience, still apply.
- Is there room for advancement?
Yes, after 6 months you are able to test for crew chief (in charge of the unit), then Captain, Division supervisor, etc..
-Do they provide continuing education or am i going to have to pay out of pocket for classes?
All paid for once per month. We are trying to transition to a mostly on-line CE system with our in person sessions being devoted to skills and system improvement discussions.

Copy pasted from another thread I answered in. As far as the testing and scenerios, its very standard registry stuff, nothing difficult.

I personally love it here, however Berekley county which is just next of to has shown MASSIVE improvements in their system in every way imaginable. They are a more rural county and tend to be slower, but still something to consider.

OP
OP
CloudofBlack90

CloudofBlack90

Forum Ride Along
Thank you. That is all very helpful.

The county i work for now is essentially the same (shifts, call volume, advancement).
Now if I decide not to go to medic school before i move, does Charleston County pay for their EMT's to go through medic school?

Also would you happen to know the pay rate for EMT's?

This seems like a great county to work for given all the info you've provided and it will definitely be at the top of my list when I start applying.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Daiawa

Forum Probie
I believe that it is $14.55, however I am not 100% sure. Currently we do not pay for EMT's to go to medic school, however there are two local paramedic programs, LowCountry Regional and Trident Technical College.