CEVO 3 Ambulance

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Last week a friend of mine joined our company. She does not hold CEVO or EVOC. The day she joined us she was told that she would be driving a BLS ambulance with the 'instructor'. She was told this was OK as it counted towards her CEVO. She told them she was NOT going to do that until she had passed the classroom portion of the CEVO. The powers in charge then told her this was OK to do it this way as the format of the CEVO course had changed. I do not have access to the CEVO instructors manual (from Coaching Systems) so cannot verify this. It is my belief that before you can drive a BLS ambulance you HAVE to do the classroom portion and/or the optional OFF ROAD driving part. Does anyone know if what they said is correct, that you can do on the road training beofre the classroom part?

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
In CA and MA ambulance operation is the responsibility of the employer. I believe this means they train you as they see fit, for better or for worse. Refer to your employee handbook.

OP
OP
Martyn

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
The other point being that we have only just started inhouse training, prior to this we have had NO training at all (apart from how to fill out paperwork). We seem to have trainers that have no experience in training the right things in the right way. Maybe I was a little vague in my question...should CEVO 3 be taught a) classroom based items first then optional off road part before putting drivers on the road (which is my understanding of how the course should be done and how Coaching Systems suggest) or b) stick them straight out on the road with an 'instructor' with patients on board THEN complete the classroom based portion.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
"Should" and "is" are two different things.

I've worked for ambulance companies where there was ZERO training in ambulance driving, you learned by doing.

I belive that there needs to be formal training before ambulance operation, but that's up to your employer and their insurance carrier.

OP
OP
Martyn

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Our insurance requires CEVO or EVOC, it's just that I (and my friend) believe that they are not teaching as per Coaching Systems guidelines.