CE'S and extra certs

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Ok, so now that I'm going to be a real working EMT and can't do anymore school until I'm ready to be a medic...

What do you guys suggest for starters for getting more notches on my certifications belt? It's also time I get started on my CE credits to keep my lisence up, any suggestions for that? I started searching the net but haven't found much

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
First - you should ALWAYS do "school" to some degree -it may not be ull-time, but you should still make sure you are learning.

If your state takes CECBEMS approved credits... you can get online con-ed and mail-order con ed from JEMS and EMS magazine.

Take EVOC, that is usually good for some Con-Ed
Take a "TLS" class (BTLS/PHTLS).
Keep an eye on the bulitin boards at station - most places post Con-Ed classes held locally... attend stuff you are intrested in.

As for Certs - there is GEMS - Geriatric EMS, "TLS" - Basic Trauma Life Support / PreHospital Trauma Life Support. EVOC, FEMA's pointless classes, AHA CPR instructor, etc.

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Thanks Jon, I'll definitely be looking into them.

As for school, I wish I could. My husband always teases me that if we ever managed to get rich I'd be a perennial college student. I have everything finished for my Associates in EMS, except the medic program, I've taken the electives, everything. Only thing I could do now is enter the RN program (which I tried, but so many medics applied I got passed up) or go for another degree. So that's why I'm looking into other certs, partly something to do/learn partly to expand my horizons.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wingnut said:
Thanks Jon, I'll definitely be looking into them.

As for school, I wish I could. My husband always teases me that if we ever managed to get rich I'd be a perennial college student. I have everything finished for my Associates in EMS, except the medic program, I've taken the electives, everything. Only thing I could do now is enter the RN program (which I tried, but so many medics applied I got passed up) or go for another degree. So that's why I'm looking into other certs, partly something to do/learn partly to expand my horizons.
Wingnut - I meant that you should a "perpetual student" - always learning... I was thinking about con-ed and other classes... not college ;)

~Jon

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Or "Professional Student"... I have a friend who is one of those.. :lol:

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Some of the courses we offer here to EMT's for CEU's:

PHTLS
Nonviolent Crisis Intervention
DT4EMS (My favorite) :)
PALS (EMT's can take the course, just not be certified)
EMT-Core (basically a refresher)
Basic Cardiac Dysrhythmia
Monthly "Paper CEU Program" they receive a credit for each topic/test they complete
BLS-HCP

We also have skills labs. We open a lot of the ALS courses to them as well because all ALS classes have BLS to start with.

OP
OP
Wingnut

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
LOL sorry Jon mis read that, Thanks for the tips! :)