Certification vs. Assoc./ Bach. Degree

suziquzi99

Forum Crew Member
Everyone, including the instructors, I speak with have different views on this. I have a month to pick which route I go. There is the EMT-B course in continuing ed at tech school and then of course the other cont. ed courses for EMT-I to get to Paramedic. Or I can get in the Paramedic Associates Degree program and eventually to a Bachelor's Degree. The pay grade is of course different for the final outcome in degrees vs. certification but for hiring purposes, how do counties / private offices hire?
I am leaning toward a degree but would then be commiting to a consistent school schedule for the next two years. Is it better to go ahead with an EMT-B certification and work within the system? Hiring for Greenville County for EMT-I is contingent that you are in school to be a Paramedic. I do not know if they have any grants within the system to help.
I would love to hear all thoughts!

reaper

Working Bum
I would go for the A.S. degree program. You will get a better overall education and in the long run it will benefit you.

The pay is not something you worry about. The difference is minimal. You go for the A.S. because you want an education.

GCEMS no longer requires that you are in medic school to be hired. They also have no grants or scholarship money for medic school. (That, I don't agree with)

Go to Tech, you will get a better education there, then at the other one.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
At this point it all depends on whether you are just wanting a job or would like to make a career as a medical professional. And yes, that includes the Paramedic.

OP
OP
S

suziquzi99

Forum Crew Member
I have a job. Not to sound cliche but I want to help people. That is why the route I take for school is so important to me. I need to have I had originally wanted to go through the Navy but that didn't seem to be an efficient decision for my family and age. I have looked into many medical professions and am positive this is the place to be.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Take it slow, if you're just coming into the healthcare field especially EMS I'd get your EMT-B out of the way and take a good look while you're doing ride alongs to make sure this is really for you. EMS recruiters lie even more than military recruiters, it's not all roses. Once you get that out of the way if you're still certain this is the career for you then really only you can answer based on what your life situation will allow. I don't think a single person on here will ever say the higher education isn't worth it but you can become a medic and even a good medic with just the certification on experience if you're willing to work hard at your job.

If it helps any I'm in the certification program right now as I can't afford 2 years of full time school right now but I am planning on taking 1 or 2 classes each semester after I'm done with the cert to get my associates but at least I'll be working more then.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Talk to people that have been through both programs. See what their opinions are and how good of a program they thought it was. I wish I had done that in the past, and ended up having to play catch-up for about 6 months with continuing education and taking additional classes to make up for what I felt my program lacked.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
the degree gives you options.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Certifcate = dead end, degree allows movement upwward.

R/r 911

daimere

Forum Crew Member

R/r 911

That is what I figured. The 4 year program near me, has an endorsement for manager EMS programs. My mom also requires me to get a bachelors no matter what I do. And the place I am receiving my EMT-B, I would never get my paramedic there. O.O I'm already extremely frustrated with only a month left.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

R/r 911

In some cases, certificate = employment which allows you to save up for the tuition for the more advanced training.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
In some cases, certificate = employment which allows you to save up for the tuition for the more advanced training.

That's the path I'm taking. I'm getting my cert which will more than double my pay then grab what extra i need for my associates after getting certified. We have a comm college that accepts some paramedic program grads to come in and get what they need for there associates, The medic program I am in happens to be one they accept.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Using a profession as a stepping stone only demotes that profession and again thier career in that profession is a dead end...

R/r911

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
Using a profession as a stepping stone only demotes that profession and again thier career in that profession is a dead end...

R/r911

Very much agreed. If one does not truly want a career in EMS and only uses their certifications for the sole reason of "moving to the front of the line" then they more than likely will never strive to maintain/add to their education.

The option of getting my certification first then go after my associates is the best course for me. The comm college's paramedic program is *EXTREMELY* lacking with a horrid pass-rate. They slam the curriculum down your throat and grab your money on the way out. I chose what was praised as the best paramedic program in my area. Everyone I spoke with and the research I done on the program showed that it actually *teaches* the curriculum.

My choices were: Take an associates program from a college that changes it's instructor every year and has a <50% registry pass rate. Or take a program with a coordinator that is known by name in the region that has been teaching Medics for years and has a >90% pass rate, then grab what classes I need afterwards for my associates.

Picking a school/program must be done like buying a house/car. Research, make sure you are getting what *YOU* are paying for

daimere

Forum Crew Member
I am not using paramedic as a stepping stone unlike the 20 people in my EMT class. 18 of those people want to be firefighters and getting their EMT means they can get hired easier. One boy wants to be a doctor and one girl wants to be a nurse. No, unlike most those people, I actually want to be a paramedic.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Go for the degree.

Take courses which will give you latitude later on. I feel the majority of folk who work EMS will eventually want to migrate up or out, and a degree in ANYTHING makes the applicant seem more perseverant and disciplined than a "certificate", even if you spend the same effort.
And if you get drafted or join the military, you might get a commission rather than KP!

PS: Over 60% of people who get degrees do not end up working in what they hold the degree for, eventually.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
If you have the proper prerequisites that a good degree program gives you, the time in Paramedic school will be better spent. You will be learning the applications instead of trying to memorize basic principles of A&P and Pharmacology.

Teaching someone to pass a test is just a small part of it. Most of the medic mills offering certificates have mastered that concept but have little else to offer when it comes to a CAREER as a Paramedic.

Last edited by a moderator: