Certificate Programs vs Associate Degree Programs

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
We just started EMT class last week and this was one of the side topics we got off on, but I thought I might strike up some conversation on here about it.

As my instructor said, "You're going to get great medics out of both, and you're also going to get crappy medics out of both..."

My question is this....any real downsides/upsides to either route? Seeing as how I am in an associates program, any advice from anyone who's gone through one before??

-Matt

Last edited by a moderator:

Epi-do

I see dead people
I am currently going through a certificate program, but it has a great reputation. I also work with several people that have been through the same program and the majority of them are good medics. I do plan on getting a degree as well though. I already have a paralegal degree, and the same school offers a paramedicine degree. Once I get my cert, since I did all of my pre-reqs there for the other degree, all I will have to do is take two semesters of A&P.

I think that the more education you obtain, the better you are going to be, both as a medic, and as a well-versed and well-rounded person. Education has never hurt anyone, and if we want the rest of the world to look at EMS as a profession, we need to do more to present ourselves as one. Education is just one way to do that.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
As my instructor said, "You're going to get great medics out of both, and you're also going to get crappy medics out of both..."

-Matt

Just curious, what degrees or education level does your instructor have?

You can have M.D. from the best medical school behind your name and still be crappy at what you do. That may be a personal thing.

Not all instuctors give their students a good preparation and some go above and beyond.

The well rounded education can give you an edge. If the future of EMS is destined to stay a certificate, then the certificate holder has met his/her basic requirements. For those who still have faith that EMS may still achieve the goals it once had hopes for, then the Associates will be a good step forward.

A.S. EMS/Paramedic class of 1979.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It really depends on your needs, available time, and available money. I'll argue that getting an Associates degree is almost always the better option, because you come away with far more knowledge than you'd gain by just going through the cert program.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that having an Associates degree will open many doors in private EMS. I'm confident you'll be more marketable if you're looking for a public position though.

Good luck!

OP
OP
SC Bird

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the replies. To be honest, I was unaware of all the certificate programs until I was already talking to my advisor at school about the associates program. I had a year between decision time to go into EMT school (missed application date by a couple weeks) so I went ahead and got my A&P's out of the way. Nothing like a couple of 4.0's in A&P to boost a sore GPA and ego. ;) I am thoroughly enjoying this program though....

-Matt

Mr. Anderson

Forum Probie
If your career goals include supervision, management, "other healthcare opportunities", or education the degree is the way to go. In many locations, you'll eventually need more than the associate's degree, so why not get a jump on the education now.

Even if your primary goal is to ride the truck and take care of people for the long haul, the degree will still give you more in depth knowledge that most typical certificate programs.

The program I teach for is currently a certificate program, however we are in the process of getting an A.S curriculum approved to become a degree program. We have serious challenges incorporating what we feel is a minimum necessary amount of A&P as well as pathophysiology. With the degree program, so issues do not exist if you're school has a well thought out curriculum.

OP
OP
SC Bird

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Here is a scan of the program I am in right now. I have already finished the English, Math, Psych, A&P, Public Speaking, and Computer...so now I just have the EMS courses left as well as some other courses I am taking too (Spanish, Philosophy, etc).

The program at Trident is new too and apparently still has some issues getting incorporated into simple school procedures like ID cards. :unsure:

-Matt

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 221

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Is that Trident Tech in Charleston?

http://www.tridenttech.edu/allied_health.htm

Seems like a nice well rounded program to give you an excellent foundation and preparation to become an excellent paramedic. The area hospitals are pretty progressive so you should also get some good clinical experience.

Another advantage of an A.S. program is the variety of instructors you will meet in the different classes. Each may have something to offer to make your learning experience a little more unique.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Anderson

Forum Probie
This looks very similar to the draft my program is working on. We actually have one go-getter faculty member who is working on a draft BS degree curriculum as well. That would probably be 3-5 years down the road, but I don't think he sleeps much so it gives him something to do. :p

Be patient with the little quirks such as the ID cards, we are going through the same growing pains. Since you appear to be in a new program, hopefully you have experienced passionate instructors who really care about the reputation of the program their names are attached to.

Good luck in your studies!

OP
OP
SC Bird

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks. The program is adopted from the Associate Program my instructor (who's also our program coordinator) went through. It seems to be very well structured. We are the third class to go through the program so I know that we are going to be watched very carefully in this setup to monitor our progress.

We are being patient with the cards, growing pains, etc....it was funny though. Over two different days, roughly six of the EMT students went to get their cards made. Unfortunately, they still weren't approved, yet. Well the administrator in charge of the ID cards finally got fed up and took out her frustration telling one of the sweet/innocent looking EMT students to tell our instructor to stop sending his students to her.:D:D:D

Good luck getting your program up and running.

-Matt

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I have spent the last six months making a decision between the Associate Degree program at a local community college and a hospital program that awards a certificate. I don't see an academic difference. The hospital's certificate program offers better clinical rotations since they do not have to negotiate rotation time. They just give you access to their ambulances and hospital. The assocites degree required a medical terminology class, an intro to allied health class and a diversity class. It might add to your knowledge but I don't reaaly see how it relates to practical knowledge as a medic.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
One of the big differences between the certificate and AA is the permanence of the credits. If you decide several years down the line to go for an advance degree, the credits associated with the AA will transfer. The ones you took as part of your certification may or may not.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
I dont see any real down side to it because of the fact they are both going to lead to one point...an emt license.
Im in college right now and im trying to get them to start an EMT certificate program,i may also see if they can get it in as an associate's degree program.