Cert

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Does anyone know anything about CERT? Like has anyone taken it or maybe taught it? Because I'm gonna (possibly) take the class and all so I was wondering exactly what its like...

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I've been a CERT instructor for two years now. I'll tell ya more about it when I get back later today.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
CERT is a method for mobilizing resources within a community in the event of a disaster. It provides some training to both EMS and non medical personnel to be utilized by your local Emergency Preparedness agency. There are positive things about it, but it depends completely on how it is administrated in your locality.

In mine, a bunch of fairly well off republican retirees have taken the course so they can be 'in charge' when the terrorists attack our small, rural area. They are a pretty self important bunch of undertrained civilians with a larger than average sense of their own importance. I've had a number of them come up to me and introduce themselves at community events, telling me how the various agencies I work with will be working 'for them' in the case of an emergency. I have been invited to join our local CERT and so far the folks they have running it have made me pause and reflect if I need to have just one more local organization eating away at my time.

I have been a CPR, FA, Wilderness FA/EMT, and BLS Instructor for some years. They have a gal, who has just taken the CPR instructor course from AHA that has never, ever performed CPR on anything other than a dummy. I am supposed to take the class from her prior to being accepted into the local CERT. It's their rules and they can't start making exceptions. Everyone has to take the entire training program and this is part of it.

But, like I say, this is the way its being administered in my area. I'm sure there are places where the intent is to actually provide a service instead of make the untrained, unexperienced, unprepared feel like they are in control.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I have been a CPR, FA, Wilderness FA/EMT, and BLS Instructor for some years. They have a gal, who has just taken the CPR instructor course from AHA that has never, ever performed CPR on anything other than a dummy. I am supposed to take the class from her prior to being accepted into the local CERT. It's their rules and they can't start making exceptions. Everyone has to take the entire training program and this is part of it.

Why are they forcing you to take a CPR class prior to taking CERT, when CPR is not done at all during a CERT response?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
They have a set of classes they are requiring all CERT members to take, no exceptions. I told them I could produce my credentials to back up my skills but according to the pinkie ring wearing, polyester shirted, haband comfort slacks, white shoed, toupee clad ex realtor who was taking the applications, I had to take the full series of classes offered through their local group in order to be accepted. I told him I could teach those classes and promptly round filed my application.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Does anyone know anything about CERT? Like has anyone taken it or maybe taught it? Because I'm gonna (possibly) take the class and all so I was wondering exactly what its like...

Quoting my own website here:
The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.

CERT allows a community to respond a disaster/emergency that occurs in their neighborhood when local responders may be tied up or unable to respond. We teach them everything from scene/disaster size up, to setting up an incident command system, to setting up triage and preparing for transport. Some groups take the initial class and that's it, then there are others who want monthly training sessions.

Like all training, it's what you do with it that's important.

OP
OP
babygirl2882

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Ya for this class I know they are training for cpr...

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
I have trained and Drilled with our local CERT team on MCI. Their help was invaluable. the drill involved triaging and transporting 160 patients. we had it all done in 45 mins including having patients at their destination. having the CERT team there gave us extra hands that had some training to be used.

After all was said and done, the county CERT has been added to all MCI dispatches.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm curious as to how the feds are going to incorporate CERT with their reported desire to restrict volunteers at emergencies.

Feds to Restrict Volunteers at Disasters

In an effort to provide better control and coordination, the federal government is launching an ambitious ID program for rescue workers to keep everyday people from swarming to a disaster scene. A prototype of the new first responder identification card is already being issued to fire and police personnel in the Washington, D.C., area.
Proponents say the system will get professionals on scene quicker and keep untrained volunteers from making tough work more difficult.

MedikErik

Forum Crew Member
I once had an ID tag that consisted of a stapled piece of paper that said:

MedikErik
Firefighter/EMS-Sergeant
EID #9999
HCFR Station #3.

Worked well enough until I had my replacement tags issued. I usually keep something on me (badge, tag, etc.) to avoid the "are you really qualified" BS that goes on.

I love how the federal government keeps adding restrictions... kind of like how after Katrina there was donated food rotting in warehouses because it could only get transported in designated fashions in certain ways by certain people. I wonder how much would have gotten down there if volunteers could have just loaded up their pickup trucks and gone...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It sounded like a great program to me. That's why I initially looked into joining it. But, my local area has taken a great idea and implemented it poorly. One of the members wanted me to join in so we could help make it better, but I have enough brick walls with the imprint of my forehead already embossed.

certguy

Forum Captain
About CERT

Like Chimpie , I've been a CERT instructor for about 3 years now . The program was founded by LAFD in 1985 and FEMA and Homeland security like it so much , they're going nationwide with it . The focus is on better preparing folks to take care of themselves , thier families . and thier nieghbors in the event of a disaster when first responders are overwhelmed or can't reach thier neighborhoods . We can get the ball rolling but WE DO NOT RUN THE SHOW . As part of the ICS system , we work with the first responders , assisting them as needed . As Chimpie said , CPR is not a normal part of CERT training for the obvious reason of losing many others while tying up on a pt. who's dead already . The reply I read where the writer really bashed the volunteers really bothers me . I've seen WAY too much of that over the years . Reality check folks . WE CAN'T BE EVERYWHERE AT ONCE especially in a disaster . You may not like those volunteers , but the reality is that they may be the only help thier communities get for some time . It's time to stop looking down your noses at them and realise that they're a valuable resource . If there's a problem , train with them and correct it . Remember , we're just as human as them and in a disaster , you may be one of thier patients .

CERTGUY

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm assuming you are referring to me as the writer bashing the volunteers. In my area, CERT has become a club. It is not being used effectively nor is it being implemented correctly. As I said repeatedly, the program is great which is why I was initially interested. But, I live in a unique area where the good old boy network is still supported and its more important to be a friend of the guy in charge than it is to have skills.

My purpose for the post (besides venting a bit of frustration) was to tell people that the locality of the program can have a very important role in the way it is implemented. I have worked with various non-profit organizations constantly since I graduated from high school over 30 years ago, both in EMS and other genres. I understand the need for tolerance in the flavor of your volunteers.

In this particular case, I came to an organization with a skill set. I was told that those skills didn't matter, that my expertise was not needed and that they were all very important people. So, who in this case was being elitist and bashing volunteers? I was the one attempting to volunteer.

certguy

Forum Captain
Vented frustration

Hi Bossy Cow ,
I guess we were both venting a little frustration . I live in central CA where there are a lot of attitudes toward volunteers , mostly bad , but things are starting to change through a lot of hard work . It took a major storm hitting our valley for the fire dept. to realize our CERT team was a valuable asset . Since then , we've been receiving Response trailers , funding for equipment , and a KCFD captain has been appointed as a liason officer . We have a great coordinator who puts a lot of hard work into the program . We don't always see eye to eye but he does a great job . Please accept my apologies if I offended you . It wasn't intentional . It sounds like these guys are more interested in status than helping thier community . The thought of turning down an EMS qualified volunteer just doesn't make sense . If you ever want to move to CA , come on down , we could use you .

CERTGUY

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We also have a trailer that was given to be used as a mobile command unit for MCI's and Disasters. It sits in the County Yard and is pulled out for safety fairs and public events. It hands out keychains and emergency preparedness brochures at things like the county fair. We have attempted to access it for a command vehicle for rescues where multiple agencies are working together and have been told "That isn't a disaster, call us when it's a 'real emergency'"

Never underestimate the ability of small minded power mongers to red tape a program to the point of ineffectiveness!

certguy

Forum Captain
Trailer that doesn't repond ?

Hi Bossy Cow ,
It sounds like these guys are more interested in prestege and looking good than actually helping thier community . Doing safety fairs is ok for community relations but to turn down an agency that requests your trailer because the incident isn't big enough doesn't make sense . It makes me wonder if they'll actually show up for the big one . Is there a chain of command that can address the problem ? The trailers we have are set up for multi - use . They carry lighting , MCI gear , flood control gear , light rescue tools , cribbing , fire extinguishers , etc. they 're also set up to be used as mobile command posts . We have 3 of them positioned around our valley . Our coordinator did an awsome job setting them up .

CERTGUY

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi Bossy Cow ,
It sounds like these guys are more interested in prestege and looking good than actually helping thier community .
CERTGUY

Boy, you certainly hit the nail on the head with that one. The trailer is technically to be used as a command vehicle in the case of an 'MCI' or 'Disaster'. It contains a kitchen, communications center and bathrooms. One of the instances where we were refused access to the unit was a multiple agency response for a SAR. The wilderness area was on the border between two counties. The east side of our county also has a fire department based technical rescue team which responds to swiftwater rescues. We also use the Coast Guard for air search and to ferry our searchers up to some of the higher elevations. We were coordinating 4 different agencies and were actively searching for several days.

They were right though, it was not an MCI only 2 people missing and it wasn't a 'disaster' so technically, we were not within the parameters of the established use for this trailer. It's a nice clean pretty new toy and ya know, we probably would have brought it back dusty and maybe with some footprints on the carpet inside. They would have had to remove all the cartons of givaways before letting us take it and that would have meant gettings someone out of bed, maybe paying overtime, so it would have been a huge hassle.

We are trying to address this through 'channels' but I see it as a total misdirection of time, effort and resources. By the time they figure out that it 'might' be okay in some cases for 'some' of us to use 'their' trailer, the trailer will probably be too old to be of value.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
Trailers

In my county, we have 2 MCI trailers, 4 CBRN/Haz-Mat trailers, 2 MCI busses, and 1 field Communications truck. The MCI trailers are automatically dispatched on a Level 2 MCI or when requested. The Haz trailers... obvious response, Field Com Comes out whenever needed. It's been an amazing tool to have at drills, fairs, and actual Incidents. I have never had any problems accessing any of these, but also i have never really need to request any of them.

Cert also has their own trailer that I haven't seen in service.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I believe that they require everyone to do the same training so The People In Charge know that all of the CERT folks in their area were trained the same way, and to the same standards.

Honestly, I can see their point. It may seem silly, but it has its reasons. :)

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm curious as to how the feds are going to incorporate CERT with their reported desire to restrict volunteers at emergencies.

Feds to Restrict Volunteers at Disasters

I can't express how much I am against this.

I spent 3 months in the Gulf Coast after katrina. Got there just days after the storm. The gov't was nowhere and needs everywhere. The only thing the gov't did when they finally showed up was make people get badges. What!? The real help was made by private citizens volunteering their time with the soup kitchen (which was run by just private citizens, not any group) or the medical clinic (ditto).

I remember the gov't had a road block after 8pm. That didn't help one night when one of the volunteer RNs, with lots of meds on ice, couldn't get through despite showing his badge. So, these badges don't really help.

My sense: the gov't has utterly failed the American people when it comes to disaster response. Leave it in the hands of private citizens and small groups and simply they should do their best to assist those groups.