Central Texas Paramedic Opportunities?

Dustoff707

Forum Probie
First off good evening and happy Thanksgiving everyone. Long story short I'm looking for some insight on part time / per diem paramedic opportunities in the central Texas area. Backstory for me, I'm an active duty Army flight medic who really wants to get back on an ambulance. Obviously still being active duty limits me to weekends and maybe some weekday shifts I can pick up if I have nothing better to do on a day off. I've of course done as much research as possible on my own as far as different companies / agencies that operate around me in my area and have considered AMR Waco, AMR Temple, Scott and White EMS and a coworker recently told me that Allegiance Mobile Health has been good to her. Does anyone have any other ideas on companies that might be interested in someone with a pretty non-flexible schedule. Any companies I've missed?

I did some 911 EMS when I was stationed at Fort Drum at the EMT level before I went to medic school in San Antonio and at the end of the day I just miss it, a lot.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
In the Hood area? Pretty much what you named off, AMR would offer the most patient contact opportunity and the closest that isn’t Killeen or Copperas Cove. Potentially that county north of Hood too with the jail, can’t remember the name but it’s got the giant women’s prison there. Fredericksburg or something south of Hood would be OK too (Kerr County?). IIRC, Allegiance in that area is all IFT except for a tiny sliver of San Antonio in Windcrest, so that’s pretty lame. They might have some 911 south of San Antonio too, but I dunno and that’s a decent distance. Ascension Health runs a good little service in Caldwell County (Lockhart, TX) and someone else covers Luling so there’s that too. Rural 911.

The city of Schertz, some of the San Antonio area ESDs andBulverde Spring Branch might be options as well.

do not even consider CHI St Joseph in Bryan, it is lame and you will get stuck on wheelchairs as a paramedic.

OP
OP
Dustoff707

Dustoff707

Forum Probie
In the Hood area? Pretty much what you named off, AMR would offer the most patient contact opportunity and the closest that isn’t Killeen or Copperas Cove. Potentially that county north of Hood too with the jail, can’t remember the name but it’s got the giant women’s prison there. Fredericksburg or something south of Hood would be OK too (Kerr County?). IIRC, Allegiance in that area is all IFT except for a tiny sliver of San Antonio in Windcrest, so that’s pretty lame. They might have some 911 south of San Antonio too, but I dunno and that’s a decent distance. Ascension Health runs a good little service in Caldwell County (Lockhart, TX) and someone else covers Luling so there’s that too. Rural 911.

The city of Schertz, some of the San Antonio area ESDs andBulverde Spring Branch might be options as well.

do not even consider CHI St Joseph in Bryan, it is lame and you will get stuck on wheelchairs as a paramedic.
Thanks Rocket, iirc you've been in the area awhile now. Yeah I'd rather not get stuck on IFT's, I did some of those in NY and preferred 911 over them all day every day. That's kind of why I was leaning towards AMR. AMR Temple has no part-time positions posted, AMR Waco does. It's a bit far but I'll probably try for them first, I really just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anyone because sometimes the internet forgets about the mom and pop ambulance shops. Some of which aren't too bad.

Schertz and SA are close to a 2 hour drive I believe which is a hell of a commute, I'd do it if I have to.

RocketMedic

Honestly Coryell County (Coryell Hospital EMS) is probably your best bet. Gatesville is just north of the range complexes and you’ll get rural 911

OP
OP
Dustoff707

Dustoff707

Forum Probie
Honestly Coryell County (Coryell Hospital EMS) is probably your best bet. Gatesville is just north of the range complexes and you’ll get rural 911
Thanks for all the suggestions, one more question, is a company / agency that doesn't currently have any part time job postings worth reaching out to in this area? I know sometimes companies will still take a resume and consider part time employment if they need people enough but I've been out of the civilian job market for years and I don't really know the area. Should I just be applying for the companies with part time postings? My main concern is not looking incompetent asking about a position that's currently not posted specifically.

RocketMedic

It can be worth it, you'll want to reach out directly to the local management at AMR or whoever the chief is and explain what you want and what you can do for them as a PRN employee.

OP
OP
Dustoff707

Dustoff707

Forum Probie
It can be worth it, you'll want to reach out directly to the local management at AMR or whoever the chief is and explain what you want and what you can do for them as a PRN employee.
Thanks for the help and the suggestion in regards to Coryell Memorial EMS. I contacted them about PRN employment and also let them know I was still waiting on my state card. They told me I can apply immediately to save some time so I'm hopeful. I sent applications to AMR and Acadian as well but I would definitely prefer CHEMS.