Career change, Newbie starting emt in january

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
All have given good advice, however some of expat medics advice in my personal opinion is voided due to the state you will be working in. For example NYS is above the nations average in RN pay, remember state not city. The emt class in NYS is 250-300 hours. Again not much of a difference between 100, but still there. As well as most of NYS treats and pays normal paramedics like absulute ****. If I was to work full time as an emt right now (picking up an occasional ot shift I could easily pull 50-55. Other then those few state specific things heed the advice of these folks they are very smart :)

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The emt class in NYS is 250-300 hours. Again not much of a difference between 100, but still there.
Almost twice as much as the national standard, do they cover extra expanded scope stuff for basics?

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Almost twice as much as the national standard, do they cover extra expanded scope stuff for basics?
http://www.rcemsacademy.org/home/emt-basic-resources
Same ish schedule as mine was over the summer. Just lots of lab work. One of the days they brought in some hems guys/girls, (flew the whirlybird as their ride) to talk about when to call them
Ect. Had an ER peds doc come in to talk about pediatrics, how serious epiglotitis is that kind of jazz. Very very hands on learning, best emt school in the state as far as I'm concerned

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
@NysEms2117 Gahhhhh....yes an ER tech is an option too! @VentMonkey !

Only knowing you from this thread, I would be very cautious about becoming an ER tech. The job description varies from place to place but overall you will be a gopher. Sure, you'll get to do CPR once in a while but I think, based on this thread, that you will become bored and want more. Another option is to combine what everyone has said. Get your EMT and start working. While working, take your prereqs for nursing school and head down that path. Money may not be a big deal right now but life changes and you may feel differently in a few years.

The emt class in NYS is 250-300 hours.

Damn. When did this happen and what did they add that more than doubled the length of the class?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Only knowing you from this thread, I would be very cautious about becoming an ER tech. The job description varies from place to place but overall you will be a gopher. Sure, you'll get to do CPR once in a while but I think, based on this thread, that you will become bored and want more. Another option is to combine what everyone has said. Get your EMT and start working. While working, take your prereqs for nursing school and head down that path. Money may not be a big deal right now but life changes and you may feel differently in a few years.
This^^^ was a big drawback for me when I teched, I actually got stir crazy inside the ED and missed being out and about marching to beat of my own drum.

Aside from the bump in pay, and wanting to go, say nursing, I never got the appeal with being an ED tech especially straight out of EMT class.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
This^^^ was a big drawback for me when I teched, I actually got stir crazy inside the ED and missed being out and about marching to beat of my own drum.

Aside from the bump in pay, and wanting to go, say nursing, I never got the appeal with being an ED tech especially straight out of EMT class.
Only reason I reccomended it is because free education would soon follow

OP
OP
KellyS0317

KellyS0317

Forum Probie
My plan is to get EMT and start working...I'm so stir crazy in my current job that it will be nice to not be confined to my small tech office saying the same things and doing repetitive testing etc etc....I do plan on starting nursing school in Aug...although I am starting at LPN so that I can get into the field quicker, If I want to pursue RN I'll do a bridge program at the community college in Syracuse. Either way I am excited, I am looking at EMT as a career change not just something to add to a resume