Care vs. PRN

erodriguez1236

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone, I have a bit of a dilema and could really use your help. I got hired at PRN in LA county, and I am due to start on the 5th, I also just received a conditional job offer from Care. PNR seems like a good company from what I have seen so far from dealing with them, any advise anyone can give? Thank everyone.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Probably get paid more at PRN, but if you want to work 911, Care has about half of LACo and more than half of OC. Care is also generally recognized as one of the best private ambos in SoCal.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
The only thing I can say is I've heard a lot more about Care ambulance than PRN. I think people were saying they do 9-1-1 too.

In my experience and the other experiences that I've read from other people, being loyal is looked well upon, but makes little to no difference when getting hired at a new job. I have a friend who has gotten hired at two difference places, remained loyal, and lost his job at both while on probation/didn't make the cut because of limited positions even though I kept telling him "have a back-up plan". If you think Care will make you happy, go for it. Companies don't want day dreamers.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
What is your goal post EMTB? Fire? Nursing?

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Care in a heartbeat. Tons of 911. Awesome equipment. Awesome management. You can get plenty of overtime. Not a single complaint from me. Prn is a tiny company, I'd pass on Prn.

Anonymous

Forum Captain
CARE depending on how flexible your schedule is you will have the opportunity to pick up a fire shift almost daily if you want (although that may be changing soon as they are hiring a lot). As stated the equipment is top notch, OT is abundant and although the pay is not the anything to write home about the benefits are nice. However it should be noted some things that people love(d) about CARE are changing since the recent acquisition such as educational leave. Something to keep in mind if you plan on going to medic school or an academy.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
erodriguez1236

erodriguez1236

Forum Crew Member
Anonymous, are things changing for the good or the bad? I didnt understand what you meant. I want to become a Medic so are they still gonna have the educational leave?

OP
OP
erodriguez1236

erodriguez1236

Forum Crew Member
The only thing I can say is I've heard a lot more about Care ambulance than PRN. I think people were saying they do 9-1-1 too.

In my experience and the other experiences that I've read from other people, being loyal is looked well upon, but makes little to no difference when getting hired at a new job. I have a friend who has gotten hired at two difference places, remained loyal, and lost his job at both while on probation/didn't make the cut because of limited positions even though I kept telling him "have a back-up plan". If you think Care will make you happy, go for it. Companies don't want day dreamers.

Im not gonna try to work for both, I just want to make a decision as to which one would be a better one to work for. I would never have 2 places working at the same time.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Im not gonna try to work for both, I just want to make a decision as to which one would be a better one to work for. I would never have 2 places working at the same time.
I was not suggesting working at both. A lot of people get caught up because they were offered a position somewhere so they want to remain loyal and take what was offered; they are afraid to turn down what was offered.

OP
OP
erodriguez1236

erodriguez1236

Forum Crew Member
I was not suggesting working at both. A lot of people get caught up because they were offered a position somewhere so they want to remain loyal and take what was offered; they are afraid to turn down what was offered.

Yeah your right, thanks and I appreciate everyone's responses, I have made my choice and I think its the best choice for me. :rolleyes:

jon51

Forum Crew Member
Socal,
PRN is not a tiny company, it is actually large...

erod,
You will have many great opportunities at Care. 911 shifts, CCT, and lots of shifts to fill in. The company that bought care is a good company with a good reputation. They will pursue more contracts and their should be job security. Pay is not the greatest, but I doubt you are an EMT for the money. OT has been sufficient lately and hopefully that doesn't change. Good luck.

OP
OP
erodriguez1236

erodriguez1236

Forum Crew Member
Socal,

erod,
You will have many great opportunities at Care. 911 shifts, CCT, and lots of shifts to fill in. The company that bought care is a good company with a good reputation. They will pursue more contracts and their should be job security. Pay is not the greatest, but I doubt you are an EMT for the money. OT has been sufficient lately and hopefully that doesn't change. Good luck.

Thank you, I appreciate the input, I am going to go for Care, seems like I would have more opportunities there, and you are right, I am an EMT not for the money, I really want to become a Paramedic.

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Socal,

erod,

Idk what rock you've been hiding under, but CARE dwarfs PRN... In the grand scheme PRN is essentially tiny.

cousin4ever

Retired
You should go with what company you really want to work for. Everyone can tell you go for CARE or PRN but the choice is ultimately yours. Many, including myself, would jump at the opportunity to work for such an established company such as CARE but you only know your needs and what your goals in life are.
Best of luck and dont jump into something you are not ready for... Remember that not every job is secure and its wiser to think everything out and then act.

jon51

Forum Crew Member
Socal,

I don't hide under a rock. I have worked in the county you do for much longer than you have and I have a much better understanding of EMS and providers in the county than you do. You simply made a statement:

"Care in a heartbeat. Tons of 911. Awesome equipment. Awesome management. You can get plenty of overtime. Not a single complaint from me. Prn is a tiny company, I'd pass on Prn."

You only claimed that PRN was tiny and in no way compared the size of these companies to each other. Your claim was actually false. If you were trying to compare the two in terms of size then I recommend you work on your writing skills and maybe proof read what you are writing in the future.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Just a reminder...
We take the "Be Polite" rule VERY seriously! We consider it our "First Rule". We do not tolerate ANY rudeness, profane or offensive language whatsoever. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive may be suspended or banned.