CARE Ambulance San Diego

SDemt32

Forum Probie
Alright, so I have heard some not so great things about this company but the fact remains that they're paying $10hr over the 8-9$hr of other companies.
I am looking for someone to give me a straight up answer that is OBJECTiVE.
Should I consider working here and deal with the management style? Or is it that bad that I should look elsewhere.
ALL objective help is greatly appreciated.
P.s I am someone who has no problem taking accountability for my actions and following directions as they're given.
Thanks

Always BSI

Forum Lieutenant
Truth is when it comes to Southern California try to get experience anywhere you can get hired.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
OP
OP
S

SDemt32

Forum Probie
First question is what did you hear.

honestly, ive heard nothing but subpar remarks. But I also take into account that most people dont take the time to write the good, only the bad. Also the fact that there is a saturated pool of EMTS in SD and odds are that they are pretty fresh out of high school with little life experience.
Ive heard that they dont pay overtime after 8 hours, but have seen postings from the operations director that they in fact do, so Im looking for info from someone who has actually worked there.
believe me I am not looking for the world in these EMT jobs, I know what i am getting into and accept it.
Im personally the type of person that will take the verbal bashings if i mess up, its accountability/responsibility and you wont get very far in life without those two characteristics.

im looking for info on how they schedule your rotations, they have now moved to 5 8hour shifts a week, but does that mean M-F or is something like Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday etc...
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

wirk242

Forum Probie
I worked there for about a year and quit about a year ago. I quit right when they were doing the transition from 10s to 8s. I know now you need to work five 8hr shifts, if they still did 10s I would be back there. During the orientation they let you know open shifts and you pick what available.

Here are the pros...
One of the larger companies in SD, not a fly by night operation, you don't worry to need worry about your check bouncing, being shorted on your hours, etc.
Your rig is always stocked, cleaned, ready to run calls when you show up (Still it's your responsibility to do a pre-trip).
Rigs are for the most part well maintained.
MDTs (I like them)

Cons....
You get run.... Just form my unscientific polling you run more calls per hour then most other companies out there.
You are watched... they keep check of your O/S times, if longer than 15 min you need to get on the nextel and let them know there is a delay.
Bathroom brakes.... yes this is a thing.. you need to get clearance to step out of the rig even to use the restroom.
Drama, there can be drama when a senior member of the company gets to involved in your personel life.

Otherwise it's a good place to get your foot in your door. If you keep your head down, do your work it's good.

OP
OP
S

SDemt32

Forum Probie
I worked there for about a year and quit about a year ago. I quit right when they were doing the transition from 10s to 8s. I know now you need to work five 8hr shifts, if they still did 10s I would be back there. During the orientation they let you know open shifts and you pick what available.

Here are the pros...
One of the larger companies in SD, not a fly by night operation, you don't worry to need worry about your check bouncing, being shorted on your hours, etc.
Your rig is always stocked, cleaned, ready to run calls when you show up (Still it's your responsibility to do a pre-trip).
Rigs are for the most part well maintained.
MDTs (I like them)

Cons....
You get run.... Just form my unscientific polling you run more calls per hour then most other companies out there.
You are watched... they keep check of your O/S times, if longer than 15 min you need to get on the nextel and let them know there is a delay.
Bathroom brakes.... yes this is a thing.. you need to get clearance to step out of the rig even to use the restroom.
Drama, there can be drama when a senior member of the company gets to involved in your personel life.

Otherwise it's a good place to get your foot in your door. If you keep your head down, do your work it's good.

Thanks for the info. Im glad to hear the pros and the mdts. for the o.s time, i dont really see a problem with that. personally i dont want to sit in a snf for more than i need to. Lucky for me im not the type of person that lets people outside of my "close social circle" into my personal life. honestly, they can mind their own damn business.
the restroom thing seems like a pile of b.s, but thankfully i dont have an enlarged prostate and can hold it for a good while.
i start orientation on monday, any insight as to what im in for? anything to do to prepare?

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
Hey SDemt32,

Are you still with Care Ambulance? Any insight on how the business is? I'm a new EMT and I'm starting to apply to different ambulance companies across SD.