Cardiac Quiz

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
Pre-cordial thump is when you witness a pt go into v-fib/v-tach but dont have a defibrillator immediately handy but its on its way ( think AH! Get the defibrillator/crash cart out of room 6!! ) and it delivers around 5J, I think, of energy. Its not part of protocol anymore, is it?

Saw a medic nearly get his posterior whooped by a HUGE burly husband when the medic ran from the nurses station to the patient's bed and thumped her.

I can only imagine: speaking to my wife, she suddenly says her chest is tightening and then a blur as a guy runs in and basically punches her in the chest for no apparent reason lol

AbsoluteZzZero

Forum Crew Member
Some of those words don't go together.

Oh wait, you're from Florida.

Okay, me bad.

Back to the subject of the thread.

Eh, its the same amount of hours put into a full time class.. Rather than going to class 2 nights a week while working full time and then studying when I could fit it in, I went to class for 8 hours a day and then studied for 2-3 hours every night. For me, I think it was a better learning environment.. But to each his own..

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I believe the precordial thump is "out".

Hard to "thump on T", likely to cause mechanical damage to lots of things without much proveable benefit...except if your protocols call for it, then it's the best thing since sliced Lifepak.

PS: Good article on WPW.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff-P...White_syndrome

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OOps duplicate post

10characters

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Pre-cordial thump is when you witness a pt go into v-fib/v-tach but dont have a defibrillator immediately handy but its on its way ( think AH! Get the defibrillator/crash cart out of room 6!! ) and it delivers around 5J, I think, of energy. Its not part of protocol anymore, is it?

Actually it about 7-14 joules. Yes, it is still part of AHA emergency treatment procedure and YES it works!

The patient needs to be already on a monitor, and it is performed quickly and effectively. As Sasha describes it used until a defibrillator is on hand. For example a ICU or bedside monitor that does not have a defibrillator attached. Producing the "stimulation" during the vulnerable period of the muscle activity is what makes it work.

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
Actually it about 7-14 joules. Yes, it is still part of AHA emergency treatment procedure and YES it works!

The patient needs to be already on a monitor, and it is performed quickly and effectively. As Sasha describes it used until a defibrillator is on hand. For example a ICU or bedside monitor that does not have a defibrillator attached. Producing the "stimulation" during the vulnerable period of the muscle activity is what makes it work.

R/r 911

I was close!!

Ive heard its falling out of favor because people do it incorrectly and cause further harm.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I was close!!

Ive heard its falling out of favor because people do it incorrectly and cause further harm.

Very true, as well as most units and med surg floors has "crash carts" available with AED's and Defib/monitors so "Edison Medicine" can be provided.

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
10characters

just a though im throwing out there for you:

if you didnt post the first sentence of every post you make as the subject(which is an optional field), that wouldnt have been necessary.

again, just a thought....

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
The SA and AV nodes are specialized tissue that have pacemaking responsibilities within the heart. The SA node (located within the right atrium), is the hearts dominant pacemaker with an intrinsic rate of 60-100. I think the rate is stated to be slightly higher however with vagal influence the SA node produces the normal heart rate of 60-100min.

The AV node serves two primary functions: 1) a conduction delay. 2) a fail safe / secondary pacemaker. In addressing #1, in order for the mechanical function of the heart to work properly, a delay of the SA node impulse must take place at the AV node in order for blood to be ejected from the atrium into the ventricles. If the SA node fails, then the AV node will kick in as a fail safe and pace the heart at its intrinsic rate of 40-60min.

whiteoleander28

Forum Probie
Since the question's already been thoroughly answered multiple times, I'll just mention that yes, we definitely did go over this in lecture - EMT B