"Candy-flipping"

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
The two deaths in New York were confirmed as hyperthermia secondary to overdose.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/electric-zoo-deaths-confirmed-as-drug-overdoses-20130913

This is where harm reduction and education will save lives. Zero tolerance doers not work.

The patients did not die from overdosing, they died from environmental factors combined with the effects of the drug. If partying teens could somehow be better educated about correctly hydrating, resting etc and when and how to get help there would be less deaths.

Instead authorities drive a zero tolerance approach, arresting a tiny fraction of people taking drugs into the festivals, meanwhile thousands party with a variety of substances inside.

Pkreilley

Forum Probie
The key to dealing with these people is be chill. If you can put yourself at ease, then they will become at ease, and everyones life is much improved.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The key to dealing with these people is be chill. If you can put yourself at ease, then they will become at ease, and everyones life is much improved.

These people don't care if you're wearing a pink leotard or dancing the rhumba. They're under the influence of mind altering chemicals, which is why they need sedation and/or chemical restraint for safety's sake. I agree that a calm demeanor is important, but they key is managing them effectively. Sedation, a safe environment, temperature control and airway management.

Pkreilley

Forum Probie
These people don't care if you're wearing a pink leotard or dancing the rhumba. They're under the influence of mind altering chemicals, which is why they need sedation and/or chemical restraint for safety's sake. I agree that a calm demeanor is important, but they key is managing them effectively. Sedation, a safe environment, temperature control and airway management.

You say mind altering like anything altered is dangerous. I mean, they must have been, at one point in the trip, happy and harmless, because they were dancing and got naked. I don't know about you guys, but I only get naked in public when I'm ecstatic. There must have been a stimuli to change the mood, i.e. a cop or medic who didn't understand the mental state of the pt./how to deal with psych patients in general. Not pointing fingers, but I have seen this scenario play out far too many times.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
You say mind altering like anything altered is dangerous. I mean, they must have been, at one point in the trip, happy and harmless, because they were dancing and got naked. I don't know about you guys, but I only get naked in public when I'm ecstatic. There must have been a stimuli to change the mood, i.e. a cop or medic who didn't understand the mental state of the pt./how to deal with psych patients in general. Not pointing fingers, but I have seen this scenario play out far too many times.

You're telling me you've never seen a drunk person quickly go from happy to violent? I know we're talking more about other drugs here, but the same certainly applies. These people are simply unpredictable. There's a fine line between "good trip" and "violent insanity" for people on these drugs, and it's not always a bad encounter with someone in authority that changes the mood.

Pkreilley

Forum Probie
You're telling me you've never seen a drunk person quickly go from happy to violent?

That's like comparing epi and D50. Completely different classes, completely different effects chemically, neurologically, and experientally. I understand where you're coming from, but like I said, the authoritative stimulus is going to be the main changing point in the demeanor of those "tripping".