Canadian reciprocity for American paramedics?

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
How hard is it for a Paramedic in the United States to obtain a license in BC or Ontario or any of the other Provinces. Would a paramedic from the USA be considered a PCP or a ACP? Or is it impossible to get reciprocity, and do I have to receive 100% canadian training. I am considering moving to Canada later in life. Thanks for any info.

colafdp

Forum Lieutenant
Hi there, good question. i've worked with a few people that have come from a training program in the united states. a few have been emt's (pcp's up here) and one has been a paramedic (acp up here) while both have had no trouble coming here. They have had to prove what their training took, and if there was any differences in the training, and our scope of practices, they would take a quick con-ed type course on it. The only thing the paramedic from the states had to do, was learn about the blood glucose readings and everything up here.

As for which province you go to, their local protocols will vary, and some provinces (ie: saskatchewan) won't let you do very much. Whereas provinces like alberta, bc, and ontario will let you do alot. Depends on what level your trained to, you may even qualify for the critical care paramedic level. I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions, you could always PM me.

BEorP

Forum Captain
How hard is it for a Paramedic in the United States to obtain a license in BC or Ontario or any of the other Provinces. Would a paramedic from the USA be considered a PCP or a ACP? Or is it impossible to get reciprocity, and do I have to receive 100% canadian training. I am considering moving to Canada later in life. Thanks for any info.

It is possible that EMT-P could get you ACP in Ontario, but you will need to know your stuff very well and be well educated from your past training. More likely, an EMT-P may be able to write the A-EMCA exam to be a PCP. EMT-B is worth nothing in Ontario.

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Don't be dissuaded, the EMT-B that you have is what you are and that's ok. However, it won't take you further than an EMR (first responder) here, even though you do have better training than an EMR. You will need to do some upgrading to get the EMR equivalent, however (for different provinces). BC for example, you would need to take an upgrade to perform the trauma rolls as per BC's standards and can get an endorsement to provide Nitrous Oxide (Entonox) for pain relief.

You can make about $15/hr as an EMR and will mostly just work in rural areas. In BC, rural areas aren't usually more than an hour away from a larger center anyway.

It's a good way to start and then move up to your PCP. EMT-P will not be recognized for ACP consideration, however. Licensing would recognize that as an ICP for the provinces that license ICPs however. That pays about $23/hr.

CrazyCanuck

Forum Probie
Hey Glorified;

Saw your post re: qualifications over the border. In Alberta, we are just finishing up going through changes in our HDA (Health Disciplines Act) which has brought on additional responsibilities to our care levels. We have 3 levels here... EMR , EMT, Paramedic. At the EMR level they can difibrilate use opa's, bvms and will soon be able to administer pt owned meds, ie puffers, NTG along with some other newer skills. EMT's do defib, cardiac monitoring (limb leads) entonox, IV's without drugs, and will soon be adding Combi-tubes, LMA's, Ventolin, Atrovent, Epi for anaphylaxis, NTG and other new skills. Paramedics do defib, pacing, cardioverting, ACLS drugs, analgesia, paralytics, ETTs, IO's and lots more and will be adding more to their scope as well. The things I have mentioned here are just from my memory, however, if you were interested in our scope(s) of practice, you could contact the Alberta College of Paramedics in Edmonton, Alberta or visit their website at www.collegeofparamedics.org. They may also be able to offer you information on what procedures you may or may not have to go through to practice in Alberta. Hope this was a little bit of help for you. Be well.

stackyb

Forum Probie
American Paramedic wanting to become Canadian Paramedic

My boyfriend is from America and wishes to move here with me, in Canada. He currently is a Medic for the United States Army (in the reserves for another year), and would like to know how he would go about receiving any credit for his current training. If noone knows, perhaps you have an idea of whereabouts we would look for this information? Any help basically is greatly appreciated.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
More likely, an EMT-P may be able to write the A-EMCA exam to be a PCP. EMT-B is worth nothing in Ontario.

Hmmm...I wonder if an EMT-I with all the additional training I have would be able to get a chance to test for it. I'm going to be living in Ontario for a couple years while my fiancee is doing her graduate work in Toronto. I really don't want to work as an RT up there unless I can get on with a fixed wing air ambulance operation.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, please feel free to PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
currently is a Medic for the United States Army (in the reserves for another year), and would like to know how he would go about receiving any credit for his current training.

Military training, unless it comes with a civilian credential, doesn't mean much normally. If he's an Army medic, chances are he is an NREMT-B.

stackyb

Forum Probie
yea, im wondering if there is a test. Because the training he has is extensive, and hes already done 43 credit hours, I wouldnt see him not knowing how to pass that test.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
yea, im wondering if there is a test.

His first step would be getting the NREMT test behind him if he has not already (a lot US Army units require their medics to pass it/maintain their NREMT to be considered for promotion). Until he does that, his options are going to be extremely limited.

stackyb

Forum Probie
And after he does this cert what would be his next step, do you know?

He DOES have that. its basic tho

stackyb

Forum Probie
when he leaves the army he will also have his instructor CPR and advance cardiac life support instructor cards aswell.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
And after he does this cert what would be his next step, do you know?

He DOES have that. its basic tho

I would get in touch with the Ontario EMS accrediting body and ask them. One of the Canadian medics on here should be able to tell you exactly which agency to talk to. I'm still several years from moving there myself so I haven't started contacting up there about my own situation yet.

I wish your boyfriend the best of luck.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I've copied this from some previous posts on reciprocity and challenging tests to register here in Nova Scotia Canada. I'm sure other provinces will be similar.
You should also check out the Paramedic Association of Canada site as well. The national competency profiles are there. You can check them to see how you stack up. Then check with the registrar of the province you want to move to and Immigration as well.
http://www.paramedic.ca/Content.aspx?ContentID=2&ContentTypeID=4

"If you are a "Basic" you are unlikly to get a job in Canada. You won't in Nova Scotia. A basic is about the same as our MFR. If you are a paramedic however you can challenge our provincial test. If you go here "http://www.gov.ns.ca/ehs/paramedics.htm" There is some information on registration here in Nova Scotia. Just above it are some "Comparison Templates". You can use these to compare your level of training and practice to what is required here. If you think your current training etc. is similar to ours you can ask your medical director to sign off on it. Then you can send it to our medical director for an evaluation. If he accepts it as being comparable then you would be registered at the appropriate level."

redleader14

Forum Ride Along
Hi there, good question. i've worked with a few people that have come from a training program in the united states. a few have been emt's (pcp's up here) and one has been a paramedic (acp up here) while both have had no trouble coming here. They have had to prove what their training took, and if there was any differences in the training, and our scope of practices, they would take a quick con-ed type course on it. The only thing the paramedic from the states had to do, was learn about the blood glucose readings and everything up here.

As for which province you go to, their local protocols will vary, and some provinces (ie: saskatchewan) won't let you do very much. Whereas provinces like alberta, bc, and ontario will let you do alot. Depends on what level your trained to, you may even qualify for the critical care paramedic level. I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions, you could always PM me.

hi, I know this is an older post that I am quoting. I am a Canadian currently studying in the US. I am thinking about going for my EMT-P and was wondering if you had any updated info on the changing of countries and certifications? Thanks!

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
British Columbia

Alberta

Yukon - Good luck with this one

Saskatchewan

Manitoba

Ontario

Quebec - Hope you speak French

Newfoundland and Labrador - This one looks like a hassle too

New Brunswick

Northwest Territories

Nova Scotia

It's amazing what you can find if you know where to look.

In the link to the NWT the contact number for the Fort Smith EMS Department is our emergency number. The number for general enquiries is 867-872-8400. Currently there is a working group working on future legislation for EMS in the NWT. Currently we have no legislation.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am a Canadian who was trained in the USA. I did my EMT-B and EMT-I in Maine through a Tech school. I was able to challenge the New Brunswick PCP exam. I had to prove that my course met the NOCP as NB follows the NOCP (paramedic.ca) After working for a few years as an EMT-I in Maine and a PCP in NB I went back to school part time and got an Associate’s degree in EMS and NREMT-P. New Brunswick will allow NREMT-P's to wright the Advanced Care Paramedic Exam. I am currently an ACP in NB and NS.