Can someone explains to me how NRP (neonatal resuscitation) course works?

TimRaven

Forum Crew Member
Hi all
I recently found out there is a NRP course offered regularly near my place. But after reading the NRP website, it seems to me the system is very different than other CE courses.

From what I have read, I would have to take their course online first, then meet with a proctor to practice hands on skill to be certified.
Is it correct? Or did I misread something here?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Buy the book. Read the book. Take the online test of all 9 sections. Go to a skills day and get hands on skills and get tested out.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Buy the book. Read the book. Take the online test of all 9 sections. Go to a skills day and get hands on skills and get tested out.
What he said. And talk to your proctor about which sections he/she is requiring you to do

FiremanMike

Just a dude
NRP, not nearly as worthless as FPC, but close.

But the above descriptions of NRP mirror my experience as well.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
NRP, not nearly as worthless as FPC, but close.

But the above descriptions of NRP mirror my experience as well.
You're probably the first person who I've heard say that about FP-C. Whats your reasoning for it?

And NRP isn't the best. I learned a lot more in my STABLE class.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I paid a lot of money for a test, they didn't even help me with the study material, that was all on me. I didn't feel like any of the info that I self studied really did anything to change the way I cared for patients, so it felt like it was just paying a butt ton of money to check a box that says "yep, he's good in CAMTS eyes now."

Plus, if I'm remembering right, the continuing education requirements were extremely specific, and then I had to retake the test anyway, at full price..

I dunno, the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth..

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Typical board certification. CFRN, CCRN, and CEN are the same way. It's a quantifiable way of assessing knowledge. Im actually happy its around. My fpc and cnpt both show the base knowledge to function in those separate, specialized, environments.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Yeah, I guess I can agree and give it that. It is certainly a metric on which base knowledge can be assumed and potentially inspire a bit of confidence.

With that said, I would have preferred it would have been set up like the West Virginia CCT model, which requires a standardized class and an investment of clinical time before one can perform as a critical care provider within the state borders. That, to me, feels more like a process that actually cares about improving the level of care given by its providers than a check box, which is how I felt about my FP-C.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Typical board certification. CFRN, CCRN, and CEN are the same way. It's a quantifiable way of assessing knowledge. Im actually happy its around. My fpc and cnpt both show the base knowledge to function in those separate, specialized, environments.

CCRN actually requires verification of one years experience in a critical care environment.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
What are your thoughts on FP-C?

Pretty much the same as yours. I respect that it is a fairly difficult test that requires quite a bit of motivation and study to pass, and it helps ensure a baseline level of didactic knowledge. But the lack of any prerequisite education or clinical criteria really limits it's usefulness as a true "board certification".

There are more than a few FP-C's walking around these days who have no critical care experience at all (or very little) and have never even seen the inside of a helicopter - with that being true, what does the credential really tell you about the holder? I mean they don't even require 1 year's experience as a paramedic anymore, like they used to. And the fact that CAMTS requires it now ensures that we have more certified flight paramedics who aren't really flight paramedics than ever before. But the BCCTPC sure worked hard to get CAMTS to make it mandatory.....I wonder why?

It is possible the skills day could consist of several hottie nurses.

Or it could be a wrinkly, heavy set old battle axe who thinks that no one but NICU nurses have any business ever touching a newborn. IME, frog nurses are usually one or the other, with little in between ;)

Last edited:

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
It is possible the skills day could consist of several hottie nurses.

I know it's all the rage to be skeptical about political correctness these days, but is this really how we should be referring to other healthcare professionals? Especially on a public forum?

In any event, I agree about the FP-C being utterly inadequate. You can absolutely pass this examination without being a capable Critical Care / Flight Paramedic. I can see an examination like the FP-C being useful if paired with a additonal education (clinical rotations, oral boards, practical testing etc). I doubt this will ever happen.

epipusher

Forum Asst. Chief
Its offensive to call a woman a hottie? What is pc then? Beautiful, pretty, Aok? Old and crappy probably suits you.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Read, take skills tests, do practicles like any other certification.

Or have a mother who worked in a NICU for 27 years, is a certified instructor, and can do the whole class with you while your wearing pajama pants and eating a hot pocket.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Read, take skills tests, do practicles like any other certification.

Or have a mother who worked in a NICU for 27 years, is a certified instructor, and can do the whole class with you while your wearing pajama pants and eating a hot pocket.
That sounds like the perfect way to do the class lol