Can NREMT skill sheets help with passing the NREMT cognitive exam?

trishacarole

Forum Ride Along
I have failed twice now! I’ve been reading a lot about different websites for exam prep and so on. I have noticed I only see very few answers that involve studying the NREMT psychomotor skill sheets again and again because it will help you.

Is this true?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
No. The cognitive exam isn’t about rote memorization. You need to be able to meet the learning objectives and use critical thinking to answer the questions.

Hendrik

Forum Ride Along
I have failed twice now! I’ve been reading a lot about different websites for exam prep and so on. I have noticed I only see very few answers that involve studying the NREMT psychomotor skill sheets again and again because it will help you.

Is this true?
I agree with NomadicMedic. There's no need to memorize the psychomotor sheets for the cognitive part of the exam. Most students have problems thinking like a clinician, and the only way to get to that point is to truly understand the subject matter. Medicine is almost like Math in my opinion. You need a good base to work from. Make sure you understand the anatomy and physiology before you try and memorize the pathophysiology. Use the National EMS Education Standards book to help you study in the areas you have shortcomings in. This will show you exactly what you need to focus on. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

TheEleventhHour

Forum Crew Member
To pass the written part of the NREMT it is better to know Assessment for the order of operation as well as the diagnosis & treatment for each condition an EMT is trained for. Knowing when to check which pulse is very important for instance but knowing to check a pulse longer when a patient is Hypothermic is one of those things that tests your knowledge if that makes sense. The difference between Heat Exhaustion & Heat Stroke is the type of knowledge that will help you pass the NREMT Written Exam if that makes sense.