Can I study in Australia to become a paramedic?

WackyCj3

Forum Ride Along
So I am currently taking an EMT course I have about 2 months left until the test. This is in Texas by the way. I was wondering if I were to get certified at the end of the course if I could study in Australia to become a paramedic on a student visa and eventually get permanent residency there. I have been really interested in moving to Australia but everything says they are looking for people with certain skill sets.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If going to Australia is your goal, then you should have skipped EMT and just moved there on student visa and started Uni....cause to become a Paramedic in Australia, you need a Bachelors degree (Bachelor of Paramedical Science).

OP
OP
W

WackyCj3

Forum Ride Along
If going to Australia is your goal, then you should have skipped EMT and just moved there on student visa and started Uni....cause to become a Paramedic in Australia, you need a Bachelors degree (Bachelor of Paramedical Science).
Well I had recently thought about this I’ve been researching a lot. I am also still in high school so I would not have been able to attend a university without graduating from what I have seen so far.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok, so you are in high school. Even better. Ensure your grades are good and start searching now for what University opportunities are possible down under. Find out what it would take to complete entire college there. Find out if there are host families or other situations which can facilitate your dream. Now is the time, however you definitely need to reorganize your steps by importance. The question now is not can you become a Paramedic in Australia. The question is can you afford to live there as a new young adult in the world, will they even allow you to do so and under what terms, which school will you apply to, basically what are the steps for you to become an Australian resident or citizen, because if you secure all the aforementioned and complete Uni, then of course you can work as a Paramedic in Australia.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
As a side note, New Zealand just recently opened their immigration processes. They are actively seeking young, professionals to become citizens. While not Australia, it is fairly close and you could possibly use this as a more feasible Plan B which will get you way closer to Plan A than anything else. But yes, they want to conduct a controlled/screened population increase, they need young people, young families, and are strongly encouraging professionals or those on the professional pathway.

OP
OP
W

WackyCj3

Forum Ride Along
As a side note, New Zealand just recently opened their immigration processes. They are actively seeking young, professionals to become citizens. While not Australia, it is fairly close and you could possibly use this as a more feasible Plan B which will get you way closer to Plan A than anything else. But yes, they want to conduct a controlled/screened population increase, they need young people, young families, and are strongly encouraging professionals or those on the professional pathway.
Thank you for the info I appreciate it.

OP
OP
W

WackyCj3

Forum Ride Along
Ok, so you are in high school. Even better. Ensure your grades are good and start searching now for what University opportunities are possible down under. Find out what it would take to complete entire college there. Find out if there are host families or other situations which can facilitate your dream. Now is the time, however you definitely need to reorganize your steps by importance. The question now is not can you become a Paramedic in Australia. The question is can you afford to live there as a new young adult in the world, will they even allow you to do so and under what terms, which school will you apply to, basically what are the steps for you to become an Australian resident or citizen, because if you secure all the aforementioned and complete Uni, then of course you can work as a Paramedic in Australia.
Also I am a senior in high school and so far I have two universities I am looking at that being Charles Strut University and La Trobe University. From what I have seen both of those should work out. I am also having trouble figuring out how to find a host family for this home-stay program. I do not know where the campus for Charles Strut University is. I do know that the campus for La Trobe University would be in Bendigo, Australia. Also being a senior in high school I am worried about the GTE assessment since apart from family, a new experience, and learning I do not have very many other reasons of studying in Australia apart from hopefully moving there but you cannot list that or give the intention of it in the assessment. Let me know what you think about this information and thank you for your time.

Red Shirt 6

Forum Probie
I will suggest that you gain a CNA and or HHA certifications. This will help you with finding a host family and make finding employment easier. That is because the requirements are similar the world over so transferring or qualifying may have few challenges and may help with GTE for staying in country. (As these generally are not desirable positions). A host family may be interested in hosting you if you can perform caretaking duties for a family member.