Can I make enough as an EMT

lmasterman

Forum Ride Along
I am currently taking my EMT-B and I absolutley love it. I want to work for Rural Metro Ambulance in Indianapolis but I am worried about the pay. I need to make at least $650.00 a week. Is it possible with overtime and differentials to make this??

How does weekend pay, double pay and differentials work?

Epi-do

I see dead people
As an EMT at a private service in Indy, the only way you will make that much is if you move into the crew room and work 24/7. Sorry to disappoint you, but generally speaking, basics at private services don't get paid squat. In fact, your hourly rate won't be much over minimum wage. You can honestly make more money working at a fast food joint.

Even as a new medic at a private service you would be working a fair amount of overtime to make that a week. I just got my medic cert about a month ago and am making $12-14/hour at a fire department, which pays better than private service.

It comes down to supply and demand, and there are so many basic EMTs out there that they don't have to pay that well. If one doesn't work out, they will just call one of the next 20 waiting to get a job offer.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
It depends on your company and how much you're willing to work. If you're talking about $650 after taxes don't plan on working a 40 hour week to get it. Some companies pay overtime for anything over 40 and some don't. I've never heard of weekend pay differential but my knowledge of pay amongst different agencies is minimal, most I've heard is some places give a shift differential if you're working nights. In my area basics start between $10 and $12 an hour depending on the service and experience.

The company I'm riding with does pay overtime over 40 hours and runs 24 hour shifts where you work 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 1 off, 1 on, 4 off. With that schedule you work 9 days a month and get 48 hours each week with usually one week that's 72 hours. Extra shifts usually aren't hard to find from what the medics say but all of this varies by area and company. With the number of basics being churned out each month your market may be flooded and you may have trouble finding a job and/or overtime, or you may get a job before you graduate school. Try calling the company and asking them.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
Rural Metro runs a service a few counties from me and their pay isn't great at all. That's here in a rural area, It may be better/worse in a larger area. It may be difficult for any fresh basic to make $650/wk. You would have to work a few different services and get use to seeing your house only once a week.

I'm speaking based on my area, Pay/jobs may be better in yours

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
If you ever considered moving for the job, I would say move to the New York area. FDNY, Bergen County area alone starts out at about 30,000 for the EMT - B.

However, if that is not an option and I totally get that, don't cut yourself short as an EMT - B if you don't have a four year (two year) degree at least behind you already or plan on obtaining it. Grab the EMT - P and earn your buck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paladin

Forum Crew Member
If you ever considered moving for the job, I would say move to the New York area. FDNY, Bergen County area alone starts out at about 30,000 for the EMT - B.

Really now? And where would this be taking place at? Vanguard...I mean Hackensack University?

Code 3

Forum Captain
Is it possible with overtime and differentials to make this??

Yes, but you're running the risk of an early burnout. There are usually extra shifts that can be picked up or even special events that you can work to get more hours. Just be aware that you still need time for yourself, family, and friends.

reaper

Working Bum
All I can say is this. If you need a certain amount to survive on, then this is not the job to be starting.

Starting out, you will be broke. You will be worn out. You will be studying all the time.

It will take you at the minimum of 2 years to start getting settled in and making decent money.

So be prepared for all of this. This is not a career for someone who is worried about money. The pay ain't that great. You need to want to do this job or you will burn out.

rmellish

Forum Captain
It wasn't until this summer that I made over 650 a week, but my schedule was hell. I was working 2 24hr shifts a week at two different places, with an overtime 24 thrown in the mix somewhere, so easily over 100hrs a week...Not a good way to spend the summer.

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
Hackensack doesn't pay very well. County service is starting out at 33,000 right now. You work for Hackensack, don't you?

schwing343

Forum Crew Member
i dont make squat as a basic, im getting my medic where (if im still working for this place) ill be making a whopping 58 more cents. the private field isnt very nice on the wallet

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I make 9 an hour. with 108 hours per pay period I will clear almost 900 or a little over.

Once I get my medic I'll be a little more comfortable. ( I work interfaclility only trucks and our medics start at 15/hr, local 911 private basics make 11/hr and I is 14/hr, and medic is 19/hr)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Will not do you any good in Alaska, as most jobs there are volley and the pay once again is relevant to the cost of living.

The EMT pay sucks everywhere, anyway you slice it. But let us not kid ourselves, it is a 120 hour certificate training program. What more can you ask for when we are discussing an entry level position with bare minimum education?

The "AK" stands for Alaska....

mbcwgrl

Forum Probie
In Colorado I work for one of the highest paying private ambulance services on the eastern slope and I dont feel I get paid squat. I don't know how it is out there, but from the sounds of it, its not much different. Out here the only way to make money and working for an emergency service is to work for a Fire Dept or become a cop. Sorry... <_<

jochi1543

Forum Captain
I make 9 an hour. with 108 hours per pay period I will clear almost 900 or a little over.

Once I get my medic I'll be a little more comfortable. ( I work interfaclility only trucks and our medics start at 15/hr, local 911 private basics make 11/hr and I is 14/hr, and medic is 19/hr)

Wow, are you serious!? I've heard the pay is much worse in the US, but $9 an hour? And I'm assuming you must be an EMT-A, since you're talking about getting a paramedic degree. I'm an EMR, which is the equivalent of EMT-B and our service pays $14.75/hr for the first 10 hours of the shift and $1.75/hr for the next 14. If we get a call during those 14 hours, we get paid overtime of the 14.75 rate, which is $22.13. Given that the nearest hospital is an hour away, each call that results in a transport will be at least 2.5 hours, so I'm looking at a minimum of appx. $60 for each call during those 14 hours. So I basically make a minimum of $170 a day, or about $2700/mo before taxes, which is definitely a liveable wage - and realistically, I can expect to make as much as $3500 per month. And that's considered a below average wage, AND they are planning on raising it in January.

The oilfields up north pay EMRs a minimum of $225/day, plus usually $50 for subsistence daily, so with a 3 weeks on, 1 off schedule, you're looking at nearly 6 grand a month.

I know our EMT-As start at $17.75 or something like that (I think it's also $1.75/hr for the second part of the shift), but here in Calgary, the starting wage is around $23/hr, but from what I know, they usually don't hire new grads, so you need work experience.

Move to Canada! LOL.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Wow, are you serious!? I've heard the pay is much worse in the US, but $9 an hour? And I'm assuming you must be an EMT-A, since you're talking about getting a paramedic degree. I'm an EMR, which is the equivalent of EMT-B and our service pays $14.75/hr for the first 10 hours of the shift and $1.75/hr for the next 14. If we get a call during those 14 hours, we get paid overtime of the 14.75 rate, which is $22.13. Given that the nearest hospital is an hour away, each call that results in a transport will be at least 2.5 hours, so I'm looking at a minimum of appx. $60 for each call during those 14 hours. So I basically make a minimum of $170 a day, or about $2700/mo before taxes, which is definitely a liveable wage - and realistically, I can expect to make as much as $3500 per month. And that's considered a below average wage, AND they are planning on raising it in January.

The oilfields up north pay EMRs a minimum of $225/day, plus usually $50 for subsistence daily, so with a 3 weeks on, 1 off schedule, you're looking at nearly 6 grand a month.

I know our EMT-As start at $17.75 or something like that (I think it's also $1.75/hr for the second part of the shift), but here in Calgary, the starting wage is around $23/hr, but from what I know, they usually don't hire new grads, so you need work experience.

Move to Canada! LOL.

Very serious. I'm a NM EMT-B. And Canada is sounding nice :p

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Again, as discussed in other threads.

You can NOT compare Canadian EMS to American EMS.

When it takes two years of college education to be what we in America call an EMT-B, then and only then, can we call ourselves professional and demand/receive higher wages.

The Canadian Paramedic (ACP) is 3 years of college education. Add another year for the Critical care status and you will see why America is way behind the 8 ball when it comes to EMS education. It also explains why we earn and deserve such lowly wages.

Canada got their act together and did it right for the most part when it comes to educating their EMS personnel; notice I keep saying educating and not training, huge difference!

jochi1543

Forum Captain
Again, as discussed in other threads.

You can NOT compare Canadian EMS to American EMS.

When it takes two years of college education to be what we in America call an EMT-B, then and only then, can we call ourselves professional and demand/receive higher wages.
Um, I hate to say it, but it was a 2-week full-time (9-6) course for me to become an EMR/EMT-B, and there are no entry requirements other than an equivalent of a HS diploma and a CPR C/Standard First Aid cert. A non-accelerated course runs for something like 1.5 months 3 nights a week.

An EMT-A/PCP course is normally 10 months, but I'm starting an accelerated one in a few weeks where you're expected to be done in about 6 months (although could be as early as 4, depending on how your practicum goes). Here, you actually had to apply, I think the competition was about 5-6 people per spot.

Just out of curiousity, what are the normal course lengths for EMT-B, EMT-A, and EMT-P in the US? I mentioned the B/A course lengths, and I know EMT-P is a 2-year program that runs full-time 5 days a week. I don't think it's much education at all, although I have to say I'm surprised that there's such a large gap between EMT-A and EMT-P in terms of length of education.

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You need to go and revisit our standards compared to yours.

I am not talking about EMR, which yes is the equivalent technically of our EMTB, but would not get you EMT B status if you came to America.

Let us not talk months of completing the class. Let us talk hours of classroom and hands on.

Do us a favor and post how many hours it takes to complete each level, classroom, hospital and ambulance.

When you provide that and then I lay ours down beside it, you will see why we get such low wages. Also, tell us what exactly each level covers during the education.

As for our hours in the US, typically EMT B requires 120 hours.
Paramedic requires 500 or 800...not sure at the moment...Vent or Rid correct me please.

No, Paramedic is NOT a 2 year degree here in the US, unfortunately medic mills prevail and one can be done in as short as 6 months if they choose without any formal college courses such as AnP, Microbiology and others to name a few.