Can EMT-B intubate or start IVs?

EMT533

The Rookie
I took a screen shot off of the NREMT.organization website. It is a download able document so I can't give a link. He is what it says about advanced EMT.
Screenshot_2016-02-17-19-25-31.png
Screenshot_2016-02-17-19-25-31.png

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Did you have a question about AEMT? Just curious as to the reason for posting those.

EMT533

The Rookie
I looked for other sources that would be reliable, but I wouldn't trust them. Maybe there are places in Texas that allow intubation by EMT, but I don't want to give false information.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
The source you posted has nothing to do with Texas scope of practice. NREMT minimum scope of practice has no bearing on what individual medical directors may train and license their providers to perform.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I looked for other sources that would be reliable, but I wouldn't trust them. Maybe there are places in Texas that allow intubation by EMT, but I don't want to give false information.
Texas isn't bound by NREMT, so their standards don't mean much. Texas uses NREMT as a benchmark to reach for initial certification, but that's it.

EMT533

The Rookie
Oh wow. That is interesting that is different state to state. I was unaware of that. I was under the impression that the NREMT was IT and that is what needed to be followed to a 'T'. Thank you for answering the question. I was going a little crazy trying to find the answer from a reliable source.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Nope, all NREMT is is a certifying body. Most states will use their test as the initial certification test, but there are a few states that don't use NREMT at all, in any form or fashion. Even in the states that do use them, you don't always have to maintain NREMT, only your state cert. My NREMT-P lapsed years ago. But my Texas cert is active, which is all I need.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Are there any agencies in Texas that still allow EMTs to intubate? I understand they can, but I can't imagine it's common with the proliferation of ALS services and supraglottic airways.
We had two basics in Pecos that could. .. but again, not a typical agency

jwk

Forum Captain
Oh ok. That's great information. Thank you!
That holds true with pretty much anything. There is no federal law that relates to scope of practice for physicians, nurses, PA's, paramedics, EMT's, RT's, cosmetologists or interior designers (yes, some states license designers). Licenses to practice and scope of practice are all functions of the state, not federal government.

Giant81

Forum Lieutenant
This may be a bit off topic so forgive me, but obviously an EMT/paramedic/RN/etc... .all have to work under the direction of a medical dirctor. They are also only allowed to work in an area that they are properly credentialed to do so.

When you make it to the MD level, how do those rules change? Do MD's work under a medical director? is their credentialing limited to the hospital/city/county/state they live in? Are they afforded leeway to treat patients medically anywhere in the US as long as they maintain a valid medical license? Like if I'm credentialed in WI, and vacationing in FL, and we come up on a bad crash, can I only help at the first aid level, or do I have the ability to use anything at my disposal to help if need be. And if you're an MD and you do stop to help, does passing care off to a paramedic constitute abandonment since they are not at the same or higher level? Or, as an MD are you allowed to make the determination that this persons care can adequately be handled by a paramedic transferring to an ED?

Sorry too many questions, but I'm not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night so I wasn't sure. My dream job would be to leave my 9-5 desk job, become a paramedic, then work on going to pre-med and medical school to eventually get my MD. But, at 34, 4 kids, and a wife, my life just can't revolve around school enough to be able to do that. Neither can I take a pay cut from my tech job, to go become a paramedic yet. someday...maybe

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
This may be a bit off topic so forgive me, but obviously an EMT/paramedic/RN/etc... .all have to work under the direction of a medical dirctor. They are also only allowed to work in an area that they are properly credentialed to do so.

When you make it to the MD level, how do those rules change? Do MD's work under a medical director? is their credentialing limited to the hospital/city/county/state they live in? Are they afforded leeway to treat patients medically anywhere in the US as long as they maintain a valid medical license? Like if I'm credentialed in WI, and vacationing in FL, and we come up on a bad crash, can I only help at the first aid level, or do I have the ability to use anything at my disposal to help if need be. And if you're an MD and you do stop to help, does passing care off to a paramedic constitute abandonment since they are not at the same or higher level? Or, as an MD are you allowed to make the determination that this persons care can adequately be handled by a paramedic transferring to an ED?

Sorry too many questions, but I'm not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night so I wasn't sure. My dream job would be to leave my 9-5 desk job, become a paramedic, then work on going to pre-med and medical school to eventually get my MD. But, at 34, 4 kids, and a wife, my life just can't revolve around school enough to be able to do that. Neither can I take a pay cut from my tech job, to go become a paramedic yet. someday...maybe
My understanding is that MDs need to have a state license for any state that they intend to practice in.

twistedMP

Forum Crew Member
My understanding is that MDs need to have a state license for any state that they intend to practice in.
Yeah MD'S need to be licensed in each state. The exception being medical strike team's and and at the federal level like VA or BOP