Can EMT-B intubate or start IVs?

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member
I never thought that they could, but one of my friends that had taken his EMT class said that practiced intubation skills. I thought it was out of an EMT's scope of practice.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Intubation, NPA insertion... eh...

Not an EMT skill. That said, I know my class busted into the ALS gear from time to time to get familiar with it and would "practice", but we were never officially instructed on how to intubate a patient. By NREMT standards EMTs can't start IVs, but some states have an EMT-IV licensure (very few) that does have it in their scope.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Pretty much nope. There are a few select areas that allow EMTs to go to an additional course and get certified to start IV's and some areas allow EMTs to insert King Airways and the like, but as far as actual intubation? Not a chance at the EMT-B level.

cprted

Forum Captain
EMTs can be trained to ASSIST with an intubation. Putting a tube in a doll a couple of times does not, in any way shape or form, make someone trained to intubate.

OP
OP
K

Kaleb Griffin

Forum Crew Member
Thank you all for your responses. I did find it a little weird that they were practicing intubations, if they were never going to be able to perform one at the basic level. It is one of the skills I want to learn, and hope to when I get my dream job of being a flight nurse!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
My first intubation was as a brand new EMT Basic in South Carolina. It was taught, allowed and expected. However, orotracheal intubation is no longer an EMT Basic skill there, but they can do LMA, King Tube, and Combitube.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
i-gels should be taught to basics i think, with the background knowledge etc obviously

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
In some places EMTs can use a supraglottic airway, but I have never heard of EMTs intubating...

Here in colorado, EMTs can get an IV cert but that's a Seperate certificate then their EMT.