Can anyone give me some insight into EMS in St. Louis

SWMOEMT

Forum Ride Along
I'm about to start prerequisite for my AAS Paramedic and would like to work in the St. Louis area. I know there are a lot of options St.louis FD, Abbott, Christian Hospital, and numerous FD's that have ALS service. Can anyone give me an idea of pay and working conditions. I have my Fire 1&2, hazmat, and a few years of experience volunteering. I'd prefer a hospital or fire based service. STLFD ems seems underfunded and staffed but they do have Medic openings...

Claytonemt

Forum Ride Along
I am close to St Louis and have about the same education as you. I am starting Paramedic next week. St Louis EMS had a listing about 2 weeks ago is saw. I cant remember what sight. It listed starting around 35,000+. What school are you attending? Hope all goes well.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I live in near area on the other side of the river and I am newer part time worker at Abbott. Not too familiar with most of the other companies, but I could try to find out something a little more about the others if you have any specific questions. Have you looked at the surrounding areas any? I've seen a few fire depts. and stuff from other local areas and they look like they have some nice stations and trucks to play with.

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
Did my EMT with Christian NE. From my understanding, Christian NE is the only County/City 911 service that is not fire based. Gateway/Abbott (AMR) are primarily IFT with some mutual aid agreements for 911, but not their primary business.

You can't get into Christian NE without being a paramedic and they take BJC employees first. So, depending on what you'd want, I suggest getting a patient care tech job at a BJC facility while you get your license.

As far as the fire based services, you'll need to get selected into the academies and that is a points based system. It'll cost you 4K (for the county, I believe) to go through their academy and no job promises thereafter with fire.

I believe that St. Louis City EMS, while fire based, doesn't require their EMS resources to also work fire, so you can get in there. I believe there is a residency requirement if you end up working there, you'll have to show city residence by some period. There are openings, because they do chew people up. Underfunded, understaffed, and very overworked, but I bet an excellent way to build some serious experience.

OP
OP
SWMOEMT

SWMOEMT

Forum Ride Along
I saw the job posting for STLFD they are offering 38k does anyone know what Christian Hospital Starts Medics at, shift structure, and if they run 2 medic trucks or Medic/EMT ?

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
Christian, when I was there in 2014, only had dual medic trucks running 24hr shifts. They don't hire EMTs. The few that are there still are grandfathered, but will be staffed on 911 trucks.

New hire medics can be expected to staff their IFT trucks until a 911 base position opens.

I have no pay information to share.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't know anything about pay either, I just know they are dual medic.

OP
OP
SWMOEMT

SWMOEMT

Forum Ride Along
EMSComeLately how was moral within Christian hospital ems ? Did you enjoy your time there and would you recommend it to a friend ? I've heard good things about St. Charles county EMS ... I'm just trying to get a feel for different services. Here in the southern part of the state there seems to be a medic shortage but it's hard to find EMT positions probably the case in the majority of the country.. I'm obviously not in a hurry to get hired just looking for a good service after I get my EMT-P

EMSComeLately

Forum Crew Member
You have to understand, I didn't actually work there. I did quite a bit of clinical time there, much more than was required. It is a premiere service there. High standards and highly competitive.

I perceive the morale was decent, but I think the medics get a bit antsy to migrate from the transfer trucks to the 911 trucks. And the 911 trucks will get dispatched for IFT, too. They aren't immune.

My suggestion is this...you're getting too far ahead of yourself, honestly. Work on your EMT-P and find out if the school you are going to offers clinical hours at Christian or other services you may want to work for. That'll be the best way to both answer your questions and possibly positively distinguish yourself for possible future positions.

A lot can and will change before you're done...first things first.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
St. Charles is a good place to work, but they have a low turnover rate. Not that I blame them, they make $80-100k per year. It's definitely one you will have to wait a bit to get into if you are interested in coming out here. Like he said though, just get your Paramedic finished first.